Heartbreak

Ananya's pov:
"Aaahh" I yelped and voluntarily pulled back my hand from the hot pot. I was stirring sambar absent-mindedly thinking about the man who stole my heart when I was 15. I sighed in relief when I realized no one witnessed my stupidity.

I'm no more a teenager who daydreams about her crush anymore nonetheless, I can't seem to control my feelings for him. I don't know why I still love him. He never paid any attention to me, he has always been friendlier towards me but nothing more than that. And I don't blame him for that I know I'm neither attractive nor beautiful enough for him. He is a Greek God, a man with no flaws.

I sighed again and shook my head to brush off thoughts about him. I turned off the blame and walked out of the kitchen towards the living room where my family is sitting. I sauntered towards my brother Arjun who was munching on popcorn, I quickly grabbed a handful of popcorn. He turned to face me and glared at me, I chuckle at him.

"Hey, fatso do not steal my popcorn!! eat your popcorn hmm no, don't eat it or else you'll become fattier" he hissed. It will be a lie if I said his words didn't hurt me but I know they shouldn't. It was a harmless tease, he didn't mean anything by it. I know I'm being oversensitive and I can't do anything about it. It was the result of the brutal bullying I went through in my school years.

I quickly masked my hurt before anyone can notice it. I retorted by making humorous faces at him causing my father to chuckle. "Hey, hippo, do not call her fatso. Who do you think prepared the popcorn you are eating right now? She made it so she can eat it as much as she wants to" scolded my little sister Annapurna, who always defend me no matter what. She is the only one who knows how sensitive I am and what I went through. Arjun huffed and stick out his tongue at her.

"Oh my god, I can't believe this!! You guys are past your marriage age yet still acting like preschoolers. Oh Arjun, for god's sake you are a doctor and you Ananya you are a PROFESSOR and you are acting child!!" My mother shrieked while glaring at us.

"Let it go, honey, you'll miss their tactics once they settled down after getting married," appa said trying to calm amma down. In response, she glared at him making him gulp and smile at her sheepishly.

We giggle at his scared expression, anu take this opportunity to steal popcorn from him "hey" he yelled out and then pouted as we all laughed at him

"Oh I forgot to tell you guys that Vignesh called me yesterday to inform me that his son Rudra is getting married within a week," he informed. My heart dropped at the news. I hate myself for still holding feelings for him because of the silly incident that happened years ago.

"Sweety, you have no choice but to attend his wedding. Vignesh got very irritated when you didn't come to his son's engagement and I don't want you to repeat it " pappa said sternly, I hate it when he uses that tone. I know he barely uses it but if he uses it that means he's either very angry or disappointed. I didn't go to his engagement saying I have to prepare a crucial exam paper. And now I don't have any choice except to attend his marriage no matter how painful it is to watch him marrying another woman.

"Sorry, appa I will come. You don't need to worry about it" I said and forced a smile. Anu shoots me a pitiful look, I looked down feeling dejected.

I furrowed my brows as I accidentally glanced at Arjun who has the same expression as me. All his happiness and goofiness had vanished from his face. I've no idea why he got so sad out of blue. He was so happy a few seconds ago. I don't understand how Rudra's marriage impacts him negatively. Maybe he is thinking about something else, about his work or of his patients. I brushed off those thoughts and concentrated on soothing my pain. I don't have any clue how to deal with this heartbreak.
****************************************************
"Are you okay chechi? (older sister)" Anu enquired as she strolled into my bedroom. I stared at her through my misty eyes, I didn't dare open my mouth I know if I do no words will come out of my mouth except my miserable sobs.