The Second Attack

I already possessed all the addresses I needed, and now had the two Fed-Ex account numbers I needed, so all that remained was to produce the forged Fed-Ex bill of lading forms and it would be a matter of packaging them all up and sending them. So if produced the forged documents all that remained was logistics. I managed to locate a printed Fed-Ex bill-of-lading from an unrelated company so I knew what they looked like. Like I said, I had one of these accounts before so I had seen the forms, but I had not looked at them with a forger's eye. Now that I saw what I had to duplicate I was shocked at the simplicity of the job.

From any Federal Express office, I was able to get all the blank shipping forms I needed, even what is called "fan fold" forms. These are attached forms that are designed to feed through a printer. Not for a laser or inkjet printer, but for an older style "tractor" driven paper feed used on dot matrix printers. Now all I needed to do was buy a dot matrix printer (which is what Federal Express used) then print the name of the abortion clinic's parent company and address, and their Fed-Ex account number. This was the exact way that Fed-Ex supplied its customers a pre-printed form so it would be a simple matter for me to duplicate. All I would need was a dot-matrix printer.

For those of you too young to know, a dot matrix printer is what all the early printers were. It is the simplest of printers. Through the 80's and 90's many companies made dot matrix printers, but the biggest, and my favorite was a company named "Okidata." So I stopped by a few computer stores looking for an Okidata printer. To my surprise I couldn't find one. By 2001 the dot matrix printer had become a relic of a past generation. A few of the sales people I spoke to didn't even know what a dot matrix printer was. One asked if it was something new. I felt like a cave man. Because Atlanta is the center of the southern computer universe, and a place whose distributors I knew well, I drove to Atlanta knowing I could find a dot matrix printer there.
I was wrong about locating a dot matrix printer in Atlanta. The big stores and distributors there knew what they were, even knew that Okidata still produced them, could even order one for me, but no one had a dot matrix printer of any type in stock. Being a creative guy who knows how to think outside the box I even visited dozens of pawn shops. In one of those pawn shops I found an Okidata model 82, of which I had sold many myself. I bought it for $5 and was pleased as I could be until I tried to use it. The thing was broken and couldn't be repaired.

In the middle of this search I accidentally learned something that would pull my attention away from antiquated printers. I learned about a harmless biological agent that was so like anthrax that when tested it tricked the test into believing it was anthrax. Again, it is not my intention to teach people how to commit criminal acts so I will not go into any details about this product other than to call it "BT". On learning of BT and realizing how much more effective it would make my fake anthrax scare, I stopped looking for a dot matrix printer and focused on finding some of this harmless but anthrax like powder.

BT was widely available in liquid form, but I needed a powered version. I knew the powdered version existed but I couldn't find it. When I was close to giving up I located two, one pound bags of the powered form of BT in a feed store in rural South Carolina. The two bags cost about $4.00. I would have paid $4,000 an ounce for the stuff. Now all I needed was a dot matrix printer.

Realizing that driving from city to city in search of a dot matrix printer was not working out, I began calling the major stores across the country. I located one in San Jose, California at a very large electronics store my brother Lance and I had shopped at more than a decade earlier while in the Silicon Valley on business. I was prepared to drive to California to get that printer if necessary, but I would not have it shipped to me. That was a lesson I had learned from history. As anyone who knows me well knows, I am a big believer in researching every subject thoroughly. So being a fugitive, I researched the history of fugitives. One of the things I learned was a lesson from FBI 10 Most Wanted Fugitive #352, Willie Foster Sellers. Sellers was an FBI 10 Most Wanted Fugitive from 1977 to 1979. He was captured at the Atlanta Airport, at the Delta Airlines freight dock while picking up parts that he had ordered. I read about this in my research but it resonated with me because I remembered the day Sellers was arrested since I was in Atlanta just after one of my two escapes from a Georgia prison.

I also had my own experience to go on. When I bought that Fargo card printer to make fake driver's licenses with, I had paid for a foil tape that was back ordered to go with the printer. I wanted that foil as it would allow me to create an imitation of a hologram. A few weeks later when it arrived I drove to Cincinnati to pick it up. But rather than go straight into the store I spent several hours in a nearby parking lot watching for surveillance, which I eventually spotted. As the US Marshals later admitted to me, they had spent weeks doing surveillance on that business waiting for me to walk into their trap.

So I would drive all the way across the country before I would order the printer and risk picking it up.

But I didn't have to go that far since I located two Okidata model 84 printers in Philadelphia. I drove to Philadelphia from South Carolina and bought both printers, just in case. I was shocked that they were nearly $400 each as the last Okidata 84 I had bought cost under a hundred bucks, but really I didn't care. I was just glad to have found one. Now that I had everything I needed I drove north out of Philadelphia to Quakertown, Pennsylvania. There I rented a room at a Holliday Inn express and busted my butt for two days and nights. When I was done I had produced 800 forged Fed-Ex Air bills, but less actual Fed-Ex envelops with BT power and letters. I am not sure about the actual number of Fed-Ex overnight letters I sent, but I believe it was 480 of them.

As is the case with most things of this magnitude execution logistics were tricky. I had more than a little trouble pulling it off, but in the end I sent those envelopes from Fed-Ex offices from Philadelphia to Washington, DC. Being the efficient organization they advertise themselves to be, Federal Express delivered every one of those 480 BT laced envelopes before 10:00 am the next morning.

By this point even local fire departments carried gear to perform field tests for anthrax. The BT I sent lit those field tests up. Even the larger secondary test registered that the white powder sent to all those abortion clinics was the real deal; anthrax. It took CDC and the Andale Weapon's Laboratory ten days to grow the BT to the point where they could tell that it wasn't actually anthrax. What I mailed was harmless. You could make biscuits from it and eat it and it wouldn't harm you. But that stuff sure disrupted the abortion industry. Federal Express wasn't too pleased with me either.