16.

The higher they climbed, the more Makaela's lungs constricted. She could feel the air getting thinner as they ventured up the snowy slopes. Her steady breaths turned to ragged pants with every passing second. Snow collected on her face, slightly obscuring her vision. Her teeth chattered so hard she thought they might shatter.

Following their escape from the Shades in Kimathanka, she and her group immediately began their descent up the mountain. They weren't left with much of a choice—or a chance to regroup. But with Yama gone and Han clearly needing medical attention, Makaela wasn't sure how much further they would be able to get without stopping.

Amora and her Shades were usually right behind them, though. Any delays or detours could spell their deaths.

Gritting her teeth, Makaela continued to trudge through the snow. Han's arms were draped around her neck now, as she had volunteered to take over for Ismael. Ismael led the group, the opened Andhis in hand and his nose pointed north. Karin walked alongside Makaela. The girl was constantly checking over her shoulder, making sure their enemies weren't on their tail.

The lack of shadows around them meant shadowjumping was out of the question. But it wouldn't be that way for much longer.

Makaela looked up at the sky.

"Sun's setting soon," she announced. "The Shades will have the advantage when the night comes."

Ismael ran a hand over his scalp. "We need to find shelter."

"We need to find that tower," Karin argued.

"I'm afraid our mission might be the least of our concerns at the moment," the bald monk replied.

Han mumbled something, but Makaela couldn't decipher his mindless babbling. His eyes fluttered as he feebly waved a hand in the air. She turned her head toward Karin.

"Ismael's right," she said. "Once we get Han back on his feet, we can keep going for the tower."

Huffing, Karin folded her arms. "Fine."

The group continued through the snow. The angry wind screeched around them, jostling them about as they struggled up the valley. Makaela's muscles waned as Han grew heavier on her back by the moment. Cold sweat dripped down her face before freezing against her skin.

Karin and Ismael didn't seem to be faring any better. Their steps were uncoordinated and labored. She could see their frosty breaths hanging in the air.

Makaela cursed.

They couldn't keep going. Not like this.

"We have to stop."

"No." Karin shook her head defiantly. "We can't stop."

"We'll all die if we don't."

"We'll die if we do."

She bit down on her lip. While Karin had a point, she would have rathered them go out fighting the Shades than freezing to death on a mountain. If they managed to get Han walking before the sun came up again, they would stand a chance at surviving another encounter with the dark magicians.

She looked to Ismael for help. The man clenched his jaw before averting his eyes to the snow. Sighing, he hung his head.

"Makaela is right, Karin," he said, his voice low. Grave. Defeated. "We'll have to stop. Just for a few hours."

"We have to try and help Han," Makaela added.

Karin whipped around, fury igniting her features. "And if we can't?"

She didn't respond. The answer in her head was too dire to say aloud. Karin seemingly knew the answer as well, as her anger morphed to sadness. Her grey eyes lingered on Han's limp body.