05 | bunny

I was kinda hesitant in posting this chapter, but posted it either way :)

(tw: there could be some triggering events throughout the chapter, mainly in the first flashback.)

"Are you fine, Iris?"

My head snapped up at the familiar voice my ears had just registered, my eyes meeting a pair of identical greyish-blue ones. Elliott's eyebrows were furrowed in both concern and confusion.

I hesitantly nodded, my grip on the bed sheets loosening. I breathed in and out. Heavily, yet slowly. It took quite a few moments, but my breaths eventually turned even.

"I'm fine." I wasn't.

My words didn't seem to help in easing Elliott's worry and tension. He shifted his gaze to Kate who was still talking to him and Roman, but he would cast a glance in my direction every few minutes.

- - -

"Did I really have to use a wheelchair?" I grumbled, crossing my arms across my chest and looking up into Nolan's eyes. "I could've used the crutches."

"You complain a lot, munchkin," chuckled Nolan as he stopped pushing the wheelchair I was sitting on. "We have a long way."

He cautiously helped me get out of the wheelchair by wrapping an arm around my shoulders to support my body and helped me sit in the car's backseat. He then slipped in beside me.

It didn't take a long time for Roman and Marcus to get into the car along with us. I wouldn't lie, I wanted to go with Elliott and Atlas, along with Nolan, but my "legal guardian" said that he didn't want anything to go wrong and that he wanted to keep an eye on me. I didn't want to fuel his anger and agreed without arguing.

"How do you feel, Iris?" Asked Roman, his deep, intimidating voice still void of emotions.

"Fine," I lied. I wanted to sleep. The pain would stop if I slept.

"We'll have to go to the airport, and it'll take a long time till we arrive at our home. Are you sure you're fine?"

My eyes travelled to the rear-view mirror through which Roman's hazel eyes locked with mine. I nodded.