08 | tired

– I R I S '   P O V –

     My eyes fluttered open, registering the blinding light that shone brightly through the thin material of the sheer white curtains that were hung across the window on the opposite side of the room. I tiredly squinted in an attempt to minimise the amount of light my sore eyes had registered as I weakly reached for the blanket and pulled it over my head.

My limbs felt heavy, as though the slightest action would snatch the faint amount of energy they held away from them. And my mind was a chaotic mess. It was gradually drowning within the dark depths of the sea that was created by the endless thoughts that had been unceasingly churning within it; the sea's waves swirled and tossed within my mind, mercilessly forbidding it from making sense out of the churning thoughts.

I felt too tired. Exhausted. It seemed as though I were both mentally and physically drained. As though I were left with nothing but a disturbing feeling bouncing within my chest.

That feeling was perhaps a result of the nightmare I had yesterday. Or perhaps a result of my lack of sleep. It didn't really matter; I just needed to get rid of it before it would manage to consume me.

I attempted to act unaware of yesterday's events; of the flashback I had gotten. I attempted to convince myself that I would forget about it if I didn't think much of it. But my attempts were a failure. Because no matter how oblivious I'd act to the events that had taken place in the past and no matter how hard I'd attempt to convince myself that their memories would fade away in the future, I was well aware that they wouldn't.

I might manage to bury those memories deep within my mind; so deep that I'd almost believe that they'd never manage to resurface the churning thoughts flooding my mind again. But, truth was, those memories would always be a part of me. They'd never leave.

I swallowed the lump that had formed within my throat as I allowed a hand of mine to travel towards my abdomen. It had been stinging ever since I woke up and it seemed to get worse the further I thought about it.

"You fine, miss sis?"

I pulled the blanket off my head. My eyes landed upon Atlas' identical ones as I gave him a slight nod and hummed in response before I buried my head into the pillow I was sleeping on. Everything hurt.

"Where's Nolan?" I tiredly craned my neck to my right as I let my gaze meet Atlas' again.

"Probably making breakfast. I don't know," spoke Atlas groggily. "Don't worry."

None of us said anything further. The only sound heard through the silence that had enveloped the room was the sound of my deep inhales. Within seconds, my thoughts started drifting back to the events from yesterday's nightmare. I blinked.

I let a shaky sigh out as I carefully slipped out of my bed. My bottom lip found its way in between my teeth that dug deeply into it in an attempt to stop a whimper from leaving it. I shut my eyes tightly, my body unsuccessfully trying to disregard that pain that had jolted throughout my abdomen.