11| The Longest Night

Jesse was surrounded by so many humans in the cell but felt so alone, so helpless, so frightened

Jesse was surrounded by so many humans in the cell but felt so alone, so helpless, so frightened. He waited in the corner furthest from that inhuman freak who was staring at him since he got here. Every time Jesse glanced in that direction, yellow eyes glowed at him.

Why didn't anyone notice his eyes?

Everyone was either too drunk or too sleepy to see it. The guard was working on some papers behind his desk, checking in on the inmates without actually looking.

Why would he risk glowing them at me?

Jesse brought his hands out of his hoodie pocket to cross his arms around him as if hugging himself. Once he remembered how T-Bone loved to take some risks, how it made him thrilled and happy, Jesse felt a shiver running through his bones. It became obvious to Jesse how unstable and dangerous this guy was; he would even risk getting exposed as a werewolf. Jesse could see the craziness in those yellow beastly eyes.

"You look like shit," T-bone shouted in the crowded cell.

With a little gasp, Jesse flinched. The color of his eyes dimmed when he stared at T-Bone. Those crazy yellow eyes were still gazing at him, giving him a horrible feeling in his stomach.

"What happened to you?"

Jesse wasn't sure what game T-Bone was playing this time. He wasn't sure if he should answer, but he didn't want to anger him or give him the false impression of a challenge. Jesse wouldn't even dare. He only wanted that lunatic to leave him be.

"I... I was in a car accident."

"Oh... Well, I'm glad you're OK."

Jesse stared at T-Bone for a moment, waiting for him to finish, but he simply smirked. Once Jesse realized that the crazy-eyed criminal stopped talking, he looked down at his bandaged feet.

That's it? No threats? No creepy stuff? What does it mean?

The short normal conversation didn't make the situation any easier for Jesse. It made him more confused, more terrified.

What does he want from me?

Jesse's heartbeats jumped, his breaths became uneven, on the verge of having a panic attack. He raised his legs and folded his knees against his arms like an extra layer of shield.

The cell was boring and depressing. A minute within these gray walls felt like an hour. Nobody could tell time except when the guard switched on the night lights. Dinner was served a while before that, spaghetti and meatballs. It didn't taste any better than a bowl of plain oatmeal.

As time passed, some prisoners came and go. Jesse prayed he would be the next to be released, but the officer never took him.

Jesse took a deep nervous breath. It was clear that he was spending the night with that grinning maniac across from him. He had to accept the fact that Brad wasn't as good of a lawyer as he hoped he'd be. Otherwise, he would have left this stinking jail hours ago.