15| Summer House Vacation

Jesse opened his eyes so suddenly as if a surge of electricity ran through him

Jesse opened his eyes so suddenly as if a surge of electricity ran through him. His heart was pounding, his mind empty, confused, unable to recall his last memory before falling asleep. He jolted up on a comfortable couch to find himself covered with a soft blanket.

His brows furrowed in deep thought, wondering how he got here. What was here

Once his eyes looked further than the couch, he realized he was in the Montero family's summer house.

The front walls of the house were made entirely of frameless glass. It gave a magnificent view of the woods under a clear blue sky. Natural stones made up the rest of the walls, transmitting a cozy atmosphere, perfect for both warm and cold weather.

Memories flooded Jesse's head about this house, some good, others bad—especially the most recent one about a year ago. He dreaded being here after what happened to Kai but also felt safer than going back to his own house after that werewolf attack. It was a compromise he was willing to make.

With wide blue eyes, he started patting his clothes, searching for his phone. Then he winced when he remembered that T-Bone was the last person who got a hold of it. It may very well be broken or shattered during that fight in his bedroom.

Jesse glanced at the large Roman numbers on the wall clock to his right. Its silver hands were pointing at the time, 12:32.

"Goddammit." He got off the couch, eyes wandering everywhere. "Brad! Gray!"

He strolled into the white kitchen, then from there he stood under the marble stairs, shouting for any soul to answer him.

"Where are you, guys?"

Marching through the empty house, he found Gray's bedroom. A little warning knocks on the door then he walked straight in.

Inside the quiet shaded room was Gray, laying on his belly on a king-size bed. His face was half-buried in the soft pillow.

"Hey! What are you doing?"

"What?" Gray muffled behind the pillow.

"Wake up!" Jesse shook him. "We need to get mom from the hospital. Remember?"

"I can't." Gray groaned. "Ask Brad."

"Well, where is he?"

"I don't know. I was sleeping until you busted in here."

With a tired face, Gray opened one eye at Jesse. A hint of a loving smile formed on his lips. Then he closed his eyes again, trying to get more sleep. His temple had a red bruise, and his shirtless body showed more injuries than the last time Jesse saw him.

"What in the world happened to you?" Jesse touched Gray's forehead—a little feverish. "Are you sick?"

Goosebumps ran through Gray with each caring touch from Jesse. It was a ticklish, warm sensation that sent butterflies fluttering in his stomach. Feeling loved, a smile grew on Gray's lips.