Chapter 21: Liverpool, England

Marcus received a letter from Frances the next morning. It read.

Lord Vandam,

Regret to inform you, I am calling off our engagement. I am also returning the engagement ring.

Yours sincerely,

Miss. Hill

Marcus knew he had blundered badly, which woman would want to marry him. He had hurt Frances enough, he supposed he should be glad that she called off, but he was not.

He was dejected, the irony was killing him. He loved Frances, and he knew Frances loved him too. There could be no one for him as Frances, but he had gone and ruined any chance with her.

Frances wanted to leave London, she wanted to go home. Frances was surprised that her parents accepted that they must leave for Liverpool. She didn't tell them about calling off the engagement.

Frances grew silent and was not her usual self. Mrs.Hill was happy that her daughter finally grew up and learned the way of a lady.

George came to visit Frances, the day they arrived at Liverpool. She tried to act normal, but she was sure George knew something was amiss.

Next day George arrived with Sanah in tow. Sanah requested Mrs. Sophia that Frances stayed with them for a week because she wanted a female company as she was nearing her due.

The reason why George came with Sanah became apparent, once they got inside the carriage.

George took Frances' hands and asked, 'What is wrong?'

Frances didn't know how George knew anything was wrong; even her mother didn't know.

Frances didn't cry, she didn't feel sad, the truth was she didn't feel anything. Her heart felt empty. Frances replied, 'Nothing is wrong.'

George didn't look convinced, 'Did Van..' he started but stopped and started again 'Did someone hurt you?'

Frances replied 'No.'

Sanah placed an arm on George's shoulder, he stopped interrogating her.

Every night Frances lay in bed trying not to think of Marcus. No he was Lord Vandam, he could never be Marcus to her. However, when she closed her eyes all she could see was Marcus. She ought to cry, she could never have Marcus in her life. But she didn't cry, no she couldn't cry.

George didn't talk about Marcus or London, but he talked about all the other things. Frances knew she had not fooled George even a bit, he knew her well and must have deduced she and Marcus had a falling out. She couldn't bring herself to tell him yet.

Antony came to visit Marcus at Brent Castle, as Marcus rarely left his study after he received Frances' letter. Antony set about packing Marcus' belongings, he pulled him on to a carriage.

Only when the carriage was rolling out of London, Marcus asked. 'Where are we going?'

Antony replied, 'We are going out to the seaside for a week.'

Marcus didn't tell anything, he knew Antony was trying to help. He didn't know he would ever be normal, he was pining for Frances.

They travelled for three days, rain thickened as they rolled and made their journey difficult. It suited Marcus' mode.

They checked into an inn at night. Marcus had gotten drunk, the ale in the inn was bad, but anything which will make him forget the pain will do.

The next morning Marcus got up with his head pounding. He felt a bit of fresh air would do him good. He got up, dressed and headed out for a walk.