chapter 35

It had been a week since they had returned from the mini vacation, and she was missing the constant presence of one hyper teenager. Someone who barged into her room at the break of dawn to demand that she get dressed so they could go raid the kitchen.

Sally had hugged her for a full minute before letting go.

It was Thursday, the anniversary was Friday. Robert, being nice for once, had dismissed everyone two days prior to the event.

Spreading out her yoga mat on the floor, Nia sat in a lotus position and closed her eyes. She literally spent every hour of her days making the last minute preparations for the anniversary.

But this morning, she insisted on having a little time for herself. And what better way to spend it than some relaxing yoga poses.

Inhaling deeply, she tried not to think of too many things. But it was impossible. She was thinking of things she could have forgotten.

Just then a loud ringing sound jarred her out of her trance like state. Her eyes snapped open and she grabbed her phone. It was one of the latest models. Gabriel had gotten it for her, like he had promised. And the moment she got home, she had wired the money back to his account.

She didn't want to feel like she was in his debt. Didn't want him to feel as though he could use it as an excuse to get other things from her.

Swiping, she picked the call and pressed it to her ear. "Yes?"

"Smithy. Come down now."

"No! No no no!" She yelled. "It's my free day!"

"We have work to do," he snapped.

"But I was about doing yoga," she whined. "I'm not even dressed!"

"Yoga? Just throw on a goddamn jacket and come out," he snapped then added in a softer voice. "Please."

Nia huffed and hung up. Finding a denim jacket, she shrugged it on and grabbed her phone and credit card.

He was leaning against his car when she got outside. And boy what a sexy sight it was. He was wearing a blue shirt which he had rolled up to his elbows, and his head was bent over his phone.

"I'm here," she announced dryly.

Everyone got the day off, why was he calling her? It wasn't fair. She hadn't even gotten a dress for the event cause she had been too busy.

Robert looked up and his eyes paused at her bare midriff.

Nia resisted the urge to button up the jacket. She'd been wearing grey matching leggings and bra top when he called.

"Sir," she prompted.

His eyes lingered for a moment. "Get in," he said abruptly pulling away.

Nia rolled her eyes and got into the car. It seemed Mr Grumpy pants was out to play today.

She tapped her thigh as he drove, flew rather, cause he was driving really fast, to the venue. It was a mansion, his mansion.

She knew it was an inheritance from his grandparents, or at least, that's what he said.

They said nothing as they both alighted and walked into the magnificent three story building. It had this ancient beauty to it. And it was well maintained.

She wanted to ask why he chose to live in a penthouse instead of his mansion, but chose not to because it was none of her business. They made their way to the large ballroom and she paused.

When she'd last seen it, it had been dusty, dark and bare.

But now, it was squeaky clean and bright. The once dirty windows now sparkled in the sunlight. And the large antique chandelier from mid century, that was the icing on the cake. Her eyes were drawn to it. Each crystal had been polished till it shone.