chapter 50

Missy purred and rolled over on Nia's laps in satisfaction to the tummy rub she was receiving. The door opened suddenly and Robert walked in and she instantly tensed. Being in his presence caused that reaction without her intention. She stared at him from her side view and relaxed when she saw he was on a phone call and wasn't paying her any attention. She shoved her feet into fluffy bunny slippers getting ready to leave the room when Sally suddenly walked in.

"Hello again, it's me your favorite British YouTuber, social media influencer, lifestyle coach, make-up guru—" She took a deep breath and continued— "Therapy/psychology consultant, human observer, animal whisperer and gourmet."

Nia couldn't help the short laugh that left her throat. "What? Animal whisperer? Gourmet? What are those?!"

"Shh, I'm trying to increase my titles, don't call out my defects Nia," Sally said with a pout and fold of her arms. She slumped down on the couch and curled herself into a ball with her eyes fixed on Nia. "I haven't seen you outside your room since I got here two days ago."

Nia pursed her lips. Just like Sally to state the obvious and notice every single freaking thing. Sally shot a look at Robert who was still engrossed in his phone call before sitting and scooting closer to her.

"Hey, you know me, I just got to say what's on my mind. And this has been bothering me, I can't help it, sorry. Now, not to be rude or offensive... "

Nia tensed. Sally was about to be rude and offensive.

"If you don't mind me asking but... what are you doing here Nia? I mean I'm glad that I get to see you without leaving the comfort of the house but... like... what are you... " She trailed off lamely and tried again. "Do you live here now?"

Nia scrubbed a hand down her face. How am I going to explain this? She wondered.

"Okay scratch that, let's pretend I didn't ask you that question. It doesn't matter if you live here, I love it. It's just that... I've noticed other things."

"O-oh, like what?" She asked wearily. Trust Sally to poke her nose in places that didn't need poking.

"Well for starters, I notice you space out a lot. You just stare into space like you have so many things on your mind. And you have this look, like you're carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders."

Damn psychologist, Nia thought with a face palm. She wondered if Sally read people without meaning it. She didn't realize she looked like that or that her face expressed a lot of things.

"If I hadn't met you before, I wouldn't have noticed the stark difference Nia. You seem more subdued, dull, unhappy. Most times you look miserable."

"Sally—"

"Nothing!" Sally said whipping around to face the harsh glare of Robert.

"Are you—"

"I'm not doing anything I promise! Am I questioning you Nia?" Nia shook her head. "See? We're just having girl talk. And if you don't want to hear stuff about tampons and cramps and slimy dis—"

"That's enough," Robert said quickly. He gave Nia a once-over and then walked away once he was satisfied that she wasn't upset.

"Wait, shouldn't you be at work?" Sally asked narrowing her eyes at him.

"There was an unexpected complication that I have to babysit," he said flatly.

"What's that?"

"You."