7: When the chaser becomes the chased

The detective sprinted through the square hallway, his breathing becoming more and more labored and rapid. He definitely didn't have the stamina to chase someone through half the school (even if he was basically doing it). As soon as he reached the end of the narrow hallway, where the stairs were straight ahead, he noticed Kokichi's silhouette staring at him from the stairs before it disappeared.

"Has Kokichi grown, or am I imagining it? And somehow his face was pretty pink, as if he'd just thought of something dirty," the detective muttered to himself and was about to run off when a door to his right slammed shut.

From the darkness of the hallway, the clacking of girls' shoes could be heard, and a short time later Maki appeared, a sickle and a saber in her hands, her gaze alone enough to kill an entire herd of children.

"U-uh... Maki?" the detective asked nervously, pausing as Maki slowly walked closer to him. "Saihara," she replied in a dark voice before continuing her sentence. "You and that JACKASS of an astronaut bet over me???" Shuichi paled as the Ultimate Assassin swung her sickle back and forth, her footsteps getting closer and closer to the detective. "Uhm, Maki, please! Y-you're getting this w-wrong," he began to explain before the Ultimate Assassin held her sickle under his throat.

"You better run now, unless you want to die." Shuichi's heart was pounding in his chest, and he carefully took a few steps back from her before running back down the hallway in a panic, crying out like a girl.

"Fucking Kaito, I'm going to kill youuuuuuuu!!!!!" echoed throughout the school building.

As the assassin with her long braids behind her back dashed after the detective, the mysterious silhouette came back down the stairs. Tsumugi took off her wig and held her dark pink cheeks. "Whew, that was close," she giggled before heading to her Lab to change and finally get rid of the cospox.

Not knowing where the detective would be safe from the bloodthirsty assassin behind him, he panicked and ran down the stairs to the first floor and sprinted across the courtyard, choosing the dormitory as his destination. At least there he could lock himself in, even if it was the worst and most obvious hiding spot.

He paused briefly, trying to calm his pounding heartbeat that overpowered any sound, and propped himself up on his knees. This pause did not last long, however, as he became aware of the assassin's blood-freezing scream nearby. "I'll get you, Saihara! I'll slice you up and dismember your dirty limbs just like Kaito later!!!"

Completely out of breath, he pushed open the door to the dormitory, looked back outside briefly before quickly closing the door behind him and again resting his arms on his knees.

Hearing a door open, Shuichi flinched and held his hands protectively in front of him before seeing Kokichi leaning against the railing in the upper row of dorm rooms. "Come up, Saihara-chan, you'll be safe here." The Ultimate Supreme Leader waved him over, and Shuichi expelled the breath he had been holding with a loud sigh.

"You little brat WERE IN YOUR DORM ROOM THE WHOLE FUCKING TIME???" Shuichi slapped his hand against his forehead before exhaustedly climbing the stairs and seeing his little friend smile cheekily.

"Nee-hehe. Guess you didn't think of that, huh?", Kokichi chuckled and pushed the detective into his room.

Once inside, the black-haired boy sat down at his host's desk and rubbed the beads of sweat from his forehead.

"Maki really exhausted you, huh?" the Ultimate Supreme Leader chuckled, lying down on his stomach onto his bed with his chin propped up on his hands and his legs crossed behind. He watched the detective recover from his chase before talking to him.

"How do you know about that?" Shuichi asked, visibly confused.

"NEE-HEHE! I am the Ultimate Supreme Leader! There's nothing I don't know."

Kokichi continued to look at him with an innocent smile, then rolled onto his back and clasped his hands behind his head, looking up to the ceiling.

"Did you solve my riddle?" he interjected.

"Why did you even make up such a stupid riddle when all you had to do was call me to your dorm room?" Shuichi groaned in exhaustion at the thought of having done a scavenger hunt throughout the entire school campus for nothing.

"It was not useless," Kokichi began to speak. "I hid a message in the different parts of the riddle. Well, did you find out what it means?"

A/N: Hello everyone!
I'm curious what you thought of the little mystery that our lovely Supreme Leader put together. Please place your bets in the comments on what you think the message means. I'm looking forward to your theories! :> (I know it's actually quite easy, but I still feel kinda proud)
You can find out whether or not your theory was correct in the next chapter, so stay tuned!