Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen - Virus 

Montreal Ski Resort

Montreal Quebec

January 2st

1200 hours

"Erica?" I said quietly, kneeling by the side of her bed.

"Where were you?" Erica asked me.

"It was late. Sitting watching a pot boil is not necessarily amusing,"

"Okay... Do you have my tea?"

"Here," I handed her the navy blue mug I had put the tea in. "Charlie got you a hot compress if you want it,"

Erica smiled slightly, and sat up, propped against her pillows. I placed the popcorn bowl full of hot water on her bedside table. I hung the cloth over the edge of it so she could use it if she wanted.

"Where is Charlotte?" Erica asked.

I didn't answer.

"Ben?"

"She's downstairs explaining to everyone who she is," I said quickly.

"What?! Why didn't she leave before the morning?!"

"Because we lost track of time," I said sullenly.

"Ben," She didn't finish her thought. She seemed not to know what she was going to say.

"It's okay, she seems to be doing a good job of it,"

"I'll trust you this time,"

"Zoe wants to talk to me, so I'm going to go find her. Call me if you need anything,"

Erica nodded, so I left the room quietly. Guilt was quickly approaching, and I knew this was going to be harder to get out of than before.

I called Zoe as I was putting my boots on.

"Hey Smokescreen," She said after the first ring. "What's up?"

"Where are you?" I asked her.

"In my room, why?"

"Meet me on the front porch in five,"

Before she had the chance to reply, I hung up.

"Ben!" I spun around to find Charlotte running after me. "Where are you going?"

"To see my friend," I turned and continued walking, but she stayed by my side.

"Who's your friend?"

"Her name's Zoe,"

"Which cabin is she in?"

"Why do you want me to answer these questions?"

"Because, I'm curious,"

I stopped walking, took a deep breath of annoyance and told her the whole story of Zoe.

"She is a spy in training at my school, she was the second kid there to become my friend, she keeps in touch, she named me Smokescreen, she goes on almost all the missions I go on, and she is dating my best friend Mike," Then I continued walking. She faltered for a moment, but then ran up beside me.

"Who's Mike?" She asked.

"A human," I replied.

"I know that, but who is he? Tell me his story!"

"No. That's Zoe there."

I pointed at the porch on the next cabin. Zoe was wrapped in a parka, leaning over the rails, and I could only see her knees.