Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen - Surprises

Montreal Ski Resort

Montreal Quebec

January 9th

1830 hours

For the next week, Erica stayed in bed, and the students in our cabin took turns caring for her. Charlotte and I hovered over her every hour of the day though. As she lay there, sleeping soundly, her fever rising,I counted the time she could have come in contact with the virus and how affected she would be. We'd come in contact with Clarice, Dane, Brane and whoever else had been in the contaminated room, and then she'd gone in without a mask on herself. From there, we'd come in contact with CROATOAN more, and then she'd injected herself. It was the first major screw up I'd witnessed Erica commit.

"I'm assuming you want to hear the story of how I reacted to the virus?" Charlie asked quietly as she folded blankets on the end of Erica's bed. We hadn't brought up anything other than Erica over the past several days.

"I do, but maybe wait for Erica," I replied, still sitting tensely in her wickerwork chair.

"Erica won't want to hear it yet,"

"Fine, tell me," Charlie collapsed on the desk chair, and ran her index finger over the intricate wood carvings on the back.

"Well, I didn't get sick the way Erica did. Instead, I was completely fine. So I went about my normal schedule, and it wasn't long before all the students in my age group were falling ill. We had no idea what it was, so we assumed it was the flu. Even I had no idea what it was. The next week, everyone was siding against me, saying since I was the only non sick one, I caused it. That was when I realised that the needle had done something to affect them. So, I left at dawn the next day. If Clarice found out I had been in the headquarters, she would have had me killed. I stayed low, sleeping in the forest most nights, and then I called my sister to ask if she would house me a little. I never told her why. But she accepted, and then one night I saw the cabin lights turn on, and then the next morning students were filling the winter game park, and then I left my sisters. It was only a week or two later that I saw you and Erica running from the headquarters with Clarice and her thugs on your heels." She stopped, and the room fell silent save for the ticking clock on the wall above the door.

I took the last two papers of Charlie's notes, and scanned them.

Manon's room

Manon fell sick today, and Clarice told her to stop being a baby. So now I'm watching over her. I have a feeling I started this sickness.

I heard that James fell sick as well.

If I'm caught for being in the headquarters, I'm dead meat.

The needle did nothing to affect me. I've been fine ever since I injected it.

I passed the paper to Charlie, who was still running her finger over the wood. She took it, and then put it on the pile of the other papers.

I turned my attention to the last paper.

I actually have no idea where I am

Everyone in my group became sick, and I was blamed, so i left

Now I'm staying on the edge of the forest, and snacking on the food that I took from the cafeteria.

WHen the phone booth becomes available, I'm going to call Ashley and ask for her house to stay in.

I whipped my head over at Charlotte.

"You've mentioned someone named Ashley several times. Who is she?" I asked her.