chapter eleven.

Mattheo.

Mattheo hadn't slept that night. He didn't even need any energy drinks to keep him awake, he just was.

He sort of just laid on his bed, on his side. He had taken off Lilith's necklace and had it in his hands. He stared at the ceiling, not moving.

He wanted to move. He wanted to find whoever the hell did that to Lilith. He wanted to kill them when he found them.

There was a knock on his door before Blaise said, "Mattheo, we need to go down to breakfast." His voice sounded weird, like he'd been crying. He probably had been. If Mattheo could get any emotion out right now, he probably would have too.

So, even though he really didn't want to, he got up and opened the door.

Draco was behind Blaise, leaning up against the wall with his head in his hands.

"Blaise, I'm going to kill someone, I can't handle it," Draco mumbled into his hands.

"I say Perks is a good option," Blaise grumbled, glancing at Mattheo. "Oh, you're up."

Mattheo walked out of his dorm and closed the door. "Yeah," he said, putting Lilith's necklace on, "I didn't sleep."

"I did, but then I woke up," Draco said as they started walking to the Great Hall. "I just kept seeing her face, and I couldn't handle it."

"I couldn't sleep until three, and by the time I feel asleep I woke up an hour later. Sleep isn't my friend right now," Blaise said. tugging at his collar. "I suppose we will get stared at."

"Lil would have glared at everyone who looked in our direction," Draco said.

"She would have," Mattheo muttered, putting the necklace under his shirt.

When they got to the Great Hall, everyone turned to them. They all sighed and started for the Slytherin table.

Blaise and Draco sat down, and Mattheo stopped when he saw someone in the seat where Lilith normally sat.

"Move."

The kid got up and moved down three seats faster than Mattheo could blink. Then he sat down.

Draco had his chin in his hand, his elbow on the table, staring at the food. Blaise had his forehead on the table, shaking his head. Mattheo put his chin on his hand like Draco did.

"I was just about to ask for the quote of the day," Blaise said, his voice breaking slightly. He cleared his throat.

"It would have been something about how we all look like shit and need to get our shit together," Draco said quietly.

"Leave it to Lil to scold us in the afterlife," Blaise said. "You know, we always talked about our funerals. We would tell each other every detail about what we wanted. Playlists, colors, who we would let in the doors, things that would make people think we were probably possessed by the devil."

They normally would have laughed. But they didn't.

"I hate this," Mattheo said.

"Me too," Blaise grumbled.

"You think she's laughing at us right now?" Draco asked.

"Definitely," Blaise and Mattheo said at the same time.

"I think it was the Dark Lord," Parkinson whispers to Perks a few seat down.

"Parkinson," Mattheo snapped, turning to her. "Disrespectfully, shut the fuck up."

"Imagine your father killing your girlfriend," Davis whispered, shaking her head.

"My father didn't kill my girlfriend, you dumb whore," Mattheo snapped, turning back to Blaise and Draco.

After breakfast, they all went back to the common room. Blaise sat where he did yesterday, staring at the ground.

Draco sat in the loveseat again, draping his legs over one of the arms.

Mattheo sat on the other couch again, putting his feet up on the table.

Most people sat in the common room, not talking. If anyone did talk, they were quiet about it.

"I'm going to miss her," someone said.

"Shut the fuck up, she didn't even like you," Blaise snapped.

"That's not true!" the person said.

"She told me she wanted to slit you throat," Mattheo grumbled, which shut that person up really quick.

Now Mattheo had time to think. Now that it was quiet, he could think more.

He really didn't want to do quidditch anymore. He probably couldn't. He felt like shit, and he knew everything was going to affect his playing. He knew he wasn't going to be able to see Lilith cheering him on in the stands.

But he knew he made her a promise. When he made her promise to never become a death eater, she made him promise to never quit quidditch unless he stopped enjoying it.

Why would she make him make such a small promise when he made her make a big one? She always liked having the last word, but why was that what she made him promise? Not to never leave her, nothing. Why was that?

Where did she go that night? What if Mattheo had stopped her from leaving his room? Would she have not gone out? Would she have lived?

His finger skimmed the ring on his finger.

He was snapped out of his thoughts when Professor Snape strode into the common room. Everyone snapped their heads around to look at him. He wasn't at breakfast this morning, and people were starting to worry.

And he only said one thing.

"Interrogations start now."