Chapter Nine - Gloating and Busty Burgers

The doctor gave Daniel a standard one year review - everything looked the same as it did, but not to give up hope. We exited the doctor's office to see Rebecca still in the waiting room. Daniel had mentioned that her mom had a more severe spinal injury and had paralysis in her entire upper and lower body rendering her motionless for life.

We were walking about of the office and waiting for the elevator when I nudged Daniel, "Why don't you go get her number?"

He gave me a wary look, "Nah, I don't think she liked me that way."

"She came up to you to talk. She definitely liked you." I reasoned.

The elevator opened and he was about to walk in when Lucas chimed in with, "Go back in. We'll wait for you here."

Daniel looked at his brother's stoic face in surprise before grinning and wheeling back into the office. I smiled after him, happy to see him happy.

"Thanks for that," Lucas stated and I glanced over to see him eyeing me.

"For what?" I asked.

"Getting him to smile like that. It's been a long time."

"It's all him," I replied. Maybe I should have accepted the compliment and ensured I kept my job, but it really was Daniel's bright personality.

"It used to be. It hasn't been as of late," Lucas spoke quietly, his icy blue eyes far away.

"Holy shit, I'm like a fricken' Casanova, guys. Girls dig me. Hey, Em, did you know I have 'kind' eyes?" Daniel scooted nearer to me, a wide grin set on his face.

I laughed, "There's no way she told you that."

"She did more than tell me. And by that, I mean she just texted me as I was walking away from her." He explained. "Wanna see?"

I was about to reply that he should keep their messages to himself. Was there a crime for reading flirty messages between random underage teenagers? I should clarify with my dad. He raised a hand to stop me, "You know, I don't need to show you. I'm above gloating. My eyes are too kind to gloat to you common folk."

Lucas laughed, stepping into the elevator first and using his large hand to hold the doors open for Daniel and I.

Daniel wheeled in before continuing to gab away, "What do you guys know about having a partner? Both of you are perpetually single. You're pretty much spinsters at this age."

It was of more interest than I cared to admit that Lucas was single. How an Adonis like him managed to stay single ever, did not make sense to me.

"Hey!" I protested, "how do you know I'm single?" I crossed my arms and I noticed Lucas glancing over at me in interest.

"No offence I mean, you just have a look about you. I wouldn't know since I've found the love of my life." Daniel smiled as the elevator doors opened.

"Okay, that's enough out of you," Lucas grabbed onto Daniel's wheelchair handles and began to shove him out the door despite his protests.

"You can never break us up!" He shouted attracting the attention of a few bystanders. Lucas chuckled, gently slapping Daniel's head.

It was heartwarming to see them being brotherly with each other. I hadn't seen it since I started this position.

We got into the car and Lucas was about to lift Daniel out of his chair when he stopped him, "I think I can do it," he asserted.

Lucas took a step back and I stood beside him as we watched his brother open the car door and position his wheelchair as close to the car as possible. He propelled his body with his forearms and shuffled his upper body into the seat. He used his hands to lift each leg into the vehicle.