Chapter Twelve - Confrontations and STDs

I arrived back to my apartment in a huff of annoyance. I shoved the door open and strode in, going to check my mail as I realized that Ms. Smith wasn't loitering around the area for once.

I unlocked my mailbox to see a package from my dad. It had the words 'REPLACE IN 2022' in all capitals in red sharpie. I smiled, it must be the pepper spray.

"What needs replacing?" Ms. Smith's voice sounded from behind me.

"Holy shit!" I shouted, putting my hands to my heart in the hopes it would help slow it down.

"Language," she reprimanded me.

"You want to snoop on my mail and then tell me to watch my language?" I asked drily. "Have you ever considered cats, Ms. Smith?"

She narrowed her eyes at me, "Cats are noble and righteous animals. You'd be lucky to ever get near a cat."

"You need a hobby." I stated before making my way up the stairs.

I opened my apartment and deposited my tired body on the couch, lying on it with my legs raised on the arm. I pulled out my phone.

Emily: Thank you for the pepper spray!

Dad: Take it with you everywhere. Love you Emily.

Emily: I love you too

Dad: Check out this story of a UFO sighting-

I threw my phone on the coffee table with a thud, but thoughts of Daniel's disappointed face plagued my mind.

I jumped up again and searched for a book I had on spinal cord injury. My fingers found the used spine and I tugged it out flipping to the page I was most concerned about - exercise.

Scientific studies predict that most recovery will come within six months of injury, and is complete within two years. It is scientifically proven that these medical expectations could be beaten, and did, having significant improvement two to seven years after the accident. This was tied to the exercise routine began the year one becomes paralyzed. Though each loved one that is paralyzed will not have the same outcomes, professionals all agree that exercise is a good thing for all those suffering with any form of paralysis.

I grabbed the page I was looking at and photocopied it, stuffing it into an envelope with a couple other research articles on how to exercise and defend yourself in a wheelchair. Daniel didn't have to feel weak just because he was in a chair.

I grabbed my phone and keys and left my apartment without thinking, my limbs moving on their own. I skipped the steps to the lobby two at a time, running past Ms. Smith.

"Where are you going?!" She asked desperately as I ran past her.

"See ya, Ms. Smith!"

"Well, I never," she huffed.

I stopped by the bus and realized I needed to wait another twelve minutes, which kind of killed my buzz.

Screw this. I pulled out my phone and called a cab, hopping in and giving him the address for Lucas' gym.

We pulled up and I marched with determination to the door, tugging at it powerfully. It didn't budge.

I shook it again. Was it a pull door? I pulled at it without it moving. I looked above the handle and noticed the 'closed' sign. Well, this was disappointing.

Just as I noticed Lucas' black car in the parking lot, the door opened and Lucas' confused face peered at me. He wore black shorts and a wife beater that seemed to enunciate his already huge frame, but I tried to ignore it, looking at his face with confidence.