Chapter Thirty Eight - Ground Rules and New Years Plans

"So you've been seeing each other," Daniel stated matter of factly.

"Yes," I replied.

"And you were making out on my couch."

"Yes," I said sheepishly.

"And you didn't tell me?"

"That's right," I repeated, my cheeks ablaze from sheer embarrassment.

Lucas and I stood side by side as we both avoided eye contact, like two teenagers caught in the act by their parents.

Lucas cleared his throat, "It's really not such a big deal."

"Not..." Daniel trailed, throwing his hands up in exasperation. "Totally not a big deal other than the fact that Emily used to be my caretaker-"

"-Well, that hasn't changed-" I interrupted.

"-I now have to explain to my girlfriend why my siblings were making out-"

"-that seems like something you should have thought twice about," I reasoned.

Daniel shot me a withering stare, "If you would have kept your grubby paws off of each other, I wouldn't have had to!"

I sighed, "Listen, I'm very sorry about Rebecca. It really was something I wanted to tell you but I wanted to see if it was a lasting relationship before bringing it up to you. But I'm sorry you found out this way, that wasn't fair." I inched closer to him.

"Stay back you vixen," Daniel warned.

I inched a bit closer, "Daniel," I sang his name, "I'm truly very, very sorry."

"Yeah, whatever," he rolled his eyes. "Horny adults can't keep it in their pants," He muttered.

I laughed and Daniel glared at me causing me to shut up really quickly. He looked at Lucas mischievously, "So, you didn't want to tell me if it meant nothing. Does Emily mean something to you now, Lucas?"

Lucas tossed me a quick, shy glance, "I am not discussing my relationship with you."

"Oh! So there's a relationship now!" Daniel grinned.

Lucas groaned, "Remind me why I wanted to tell him again?"

I smiled at the two brothers who were seemingly getting along for the time being, "Because you lo-oove each other."

"Well, I'm happy for you Lucas," Daniel stated seriously. He turned to look at me, "Emily, as your friend, I'm letting you know you can do so much better than this hunk of junk," he jabbed a finger in Lucas's direction. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a very awkward conversation waiting for me." Daniel wheeled himself to his room and closed the door.

Lucas's fingers reached out for my hand, clasping on tightly. "That wasn't so terrible."

I used my available hand to cover my face in embarrassment, "That was humiliating, Lucas!"

He tugged me closer to him and pulled both my hands down to my waist, intertwining our fingers and holding them there firmly. He leaned down, his tall frame ever so stark at this moment. His mesmerizing frosty blue eyes connected with mine, "At least it's out in the open now and I," he kissed my forehead, "can," he kissed my nose, "kiss you," he kissed the corners of my mouth, "when I please." His lips moved ever so slowly to touch mine tentatively but filled with meaning. I returned the emotions he offered and moved my lips with his, butterflies fluttering in my stomach.

"Oh lord," Daniel's disgruntled voice snapped me out of it and I jumped, hitting my head against Lucas's chin.

"Ow!" I mumbled as I massaged my now sore forehead.

"I am not dealing with this everyday. We need ground rules." Daniel crossed his arms, frowning. "No making out in front of the minor. No physical affection in front of the minor. In fact, just pretend that nothing has changed in front of said minor."

Lucas rolled his eyes but let go of me regardless.

"Rebecca is understandably upset, but I think she's going to accept it, not that either of you cared to ask," he crossed his arms over his chest and frowned unhappily. "Anyway, before you two start smooching again - Emily, are you excited for Maria and Miguel's New Years dinner? Maria always goes all out and makes a ton of food."

I had actually forgotten about the said dinner and the idea of going to Maria's house was a hundred times more anxiety ridden now that I wasn't just an employee of the brothers. It was so much more of a commitment and that freaked me out.

As if sensing my anxiety Lucas chimed in, his eyes solely focused on me, "Maria's always too stressed out with her dinners to actually sit with her guests. You'll probably be stuck with Daniel and I the entire time."

"You two? Ugh, that's the worst," I grinned gratefully at Lucas.

~~~~~~~~~~

Way shorter than I usually like to write but I figure something is better than nothing. Big things coming up soon!