37

Ash

"What do you mean we have a lab?" I cried as Sage laughed beside me. We walked down the hall towards Chemistry.

Ronnie threw his arm over my shoulders and his laughter rung in my ear. "Ash, but you were so caught up before?"

I shook him off of me. "Yeah, I know!" I grumbled.

When you find out that your dad is cheating on your mom, it kind of trips you up.

Sage watches me closely, his eyes trying to analyze my emotion. I looked away and didn't let him in. Ronnie seems to have caught the words I hadn't spoken and doesn't try to touch me again.

There was a pain that was starting to grow in the center of my forehead, between my eyebrows. I bring my thumb up and stop and briefly massage the point. When I drop my hand I catch Sage's eye. His gaze is searing into mine, confused and worried and upset that I won't talk to him.

I bite my bottom lip, chewing as I found the right words. "I." I looked away from him. "I'm just finding my footing, you know?"

Without missing a beat, Ronnie and Sage each link an arm with me, flanking my sides. "We got ya babe." Ronnie said with a wink.

Sage looks down the hall as we walk towards chem. "Nothing wrong with that."

There is something in Sage's eyes that I catch as he looks forward. Something light and heavy at the same time. Optimistic, but pained.

Ronnie gives my hand a squeeze and I look towards him. "I'll see you next class." He says and lets go of my arm as he turns the other way.

Sage drops my arm, and gives me a smile before we enter the room.

Mr. Koll hands us a packet as we enter. "Grab your gear, and get started on the lab."

Sage takes the thick packet of paper from Mr. Koll and walks towards the wall where the lab coats were hanging. I go to the front table and carefully take up the tray of materials. "Careful with those beakers," Mr. Koll said from the door, "just a few drops of that acid won't have you pleased." I nod back to him and make my way to my lab station.

"Morning Ash." A quiet voice said from a table as I passed. It was Zebeddiah. His white hair was again hidden by the hood of his black sweatshirt.

"Hey." I said back, not really sure why he was talking to me.

I set the tray down and drop my bag on the floor.

A swish of brown hair in front of me catches my eye. I sense the elbow coming but am not fast enough to dodge.

Kayleigh's elbow meets my side and a barely audible whimper comes from my lips. My eyes swivel to her grinning face. I was so ready to take that smirk and shove it up her ass.

Sage tossed two lab coats on our table and glares at Kayleigh.

"What do you want?" Sage says from behind me, standing tall and backing me up.

Kayleigh arches an eyebrow and places her hand on her hip. "Nothing from you, fag."

The fury that ignites in my veins is immediate and deadly.