45

Jay

It was 3 am when I was abruptly woken up.

I took a second trying to figure out what was going on, but suddenly remembered what had happened between Ash and I.

I quickly looked down in my arms, my heart thumping in my chest.

There she was, safe in my arms.

I exhaled in relief, trying to slow my heart rate.

Ash's blonde hair fanned out around her. The golden strands spilled all over the bed. Her soft breathing was the only sound in the room.

I kissed her forehead and watched as she scrunched up her nose in her sleep.

Smiling softly, I brushed my hand through her hair to help the snarls get out. "What would I do without you?"

It was a moment before she huffed back, "Die of boredom." Her voice was rough with sleep, and her eyes remained closed.

I chuckle. "Probably."

Ash stretches, a small kitten-like yawn escaping her mouth. I smile as she settles back against me. "Why are you awake." She asks sleepily.

"Just having some trouble sleeping." I shrug it off and tuck a piece of her hair behind her ear.

Ash's eyebrows furrow. "What's going on?"

I shake my head. "Don't worry about it. Go back to sleep." I say softly.

When I look back at Ash's face, her eyes are open and staring at me.

She moved her hand, her small delicate fingers trailing down the side of my face. "You can talk to me." She whispered.

I looked into those amber eyes, searching. I don't know what I was searching for, but I knew that I hadn't heard those words in years and hearing them from Ash's lips quickly had my walls tumbling around me.

"There's this dream I have." I whispered, fearful that the walls were listening.

Ash turned away to turn a lamp on and then wiggled closer to me, her naked body pressing against mine.

"It's different, each time."

Ash's breath tickled my bare chest.

"I'm always restrained. Chains, ropes, bolts." Ash winced at the last.

I grab a lock of Ash's golden hair, twisting it in my fingers for some added comfort.

"And I'm forced to watch myself destroy everything and everyone I love." I say, focusing on the hair in my fingers.

Ash let out a breath of air and reachs for me under the covers. Her hands brushed against my stomach I sharply inhaled. One hand rested on my chest and the other slung over my back and rested against my shoulder blade. Despite our size difference, Ash was still trying to hug me, to cuddle me like I was the little one. The vulnerable one.

I shudder and lean my head into the crook of her neck as she pulls me closer.

"That sounds awful." Ash whispers.

I let myself relax as I lowered my walls all the way. Letting myself bare my soul to Ash. "The past few weeks have been the worst."

Ash's hand on my back swirls patterns onto my skin.

We were silent for a few minutes, Ash still drawing shapes on my back.

"Is it better now that Sage and you are back together?" She asks.