43

🌶

Jay

I can tell that she is feeling off.

Ash lets her body posture relax as she settles neck-deep in the warm water, yet she is anything but relaxed. The ridges on the bridge of her nose still read alert and wary. I want to reach out and run my finger over the wrinkles and smooth them out.

Clementine's counsience pings against my mind. I look away from Ash and let my eyes unfocus from the world around me.

I let the wall around my mind fall away so Clementine was able to mindlink me.

"Something happened at the mall." She said without hesitation.

My jaw set. "I figured." So there was something wrong.

"Her mom called."

Surprise coursed through me. "She actually answered this time?" It was no secret that Ash's parents had been calling her multiple times a day, but she had never answered.

I thought it was because she was caught between an impossible choice. Because she had been hurt by someone she trusted.

Letting my eyes focus, I look towards Ash. Her hair was piled on top of her head in a messy bun, the strands that fell down were curled by the springs humidity.

"Yeah. I couldn't really hear what her mom was saying over the line, but it sounds like Ash's parents are out of town for the week." Clementine says.

I watch as Ash tucks a strand of hair behind her ear and talks quietly with Sage.

"What about- did she say anything about-" I fail to find the words.

"You know her, Jay. You know she would not keep something like that a secret."

Something inside my chest twisted painfully. Of course, Ashlynn had told her mom. It wasn't even a debate whether or not my mate would keep the detrimental secret.

Ronnie laid a hand on his stomach while he laid himself out along a rock. "I'm famished." He groaned.

"I'll go with you to get some food started." I offered. "I think we have some chips, fruit, and such." I stood and started to wade towards him. "We could even order some pizza. I don't know what everyone else had in plan for today, but some food does sound nice." I step out of the small pool and begin to dry myself with a towel.

Ronnie groaned again. "I think I need another few minutes of sun. I don't know when it's going to give us the pleasure of coming back."

There was a small giggle behind me. I turned to where Ash looked at us both with slightly sparkling eyes. "That's for damn sure." Clementine snickered at Ash's playful words. "I'll go with you Jay."

I did a double-check, quickly looking back towards Ash, making sure she said what I thought she said. Sure enough, the blonde was slowly making her way toward me. I didn't let myself think too hard on it as I offered a hand out to her, which she took up and I helped her out of the pool.

The simple touch had pleasure shooting up my nerves. I smiled as I steadied her arm and she stepped out right in front of me, only inches away from my face.

Ash's eyes slowly raked down my body, and flicked right back up to my face, a mischievous grin etched across her face. "Could I borrow that towel?"

A grin spreads across my face as I hand her the towel. Ash watches me watch her dry off, taking extra care along her breasts. I swallow roughly. The red bikini highlighted all of her dips and curves perfectly.