Chapter 3

'Diana Tristan was a woman he wouldn't like from the beginning till the end.'

It was Richard's first impression of Diana. However, she was a completely different person from Richard's perspective.

It was the same when she first arrived at the manor.

When Diana arrived at the manor, she soon came to meet him and was behaving cordially.

Although they're married for political reasons, technically speaking, Diana was a woman who had been sold to him.

What's more, she was not Duke Tristan's biological daughter, whom Richard wanted.

As such, she should be disheartened considering that she had been sold as a substitute for her younger sister, but it seemed she simply accepted her fate.

Rather, she showed a mysterious behavior as if she was hiding something. Also, the way she looked at Richard was as though she knows something about him.

Somehow Richard didn't like that look.

The fact that he's currently waiting for Diana at dinner was not boring instead, he had felt a combination of curiosity and slight anticipation.

Richard thought Diana wouldn't be feeling depressed because of her remarks in the office. For that reason, he had a renewed opinion of her so he assumed that she'll deliberately be taking her time.

But who knows. She may not appear at dinner even though it's obvious that he's waiting for her.

However, contrary to Richard's assumption, Diana actually appeared. Just like the time she stopped by the office, once again, she completely changed his view of her.

The conversation with her was not at all unpleasant. It was a difficult conversation to follow, but Richard enjoyed talking to her.

Richard couldn't even remember how long it had been since he had talked to someone whom he had only met twice in such a comfortable way.

Truthfully speaking, Diana was just a woman who he paid money for to get in touch with the duke.

Since he didn't even intend to spend the first night with such a woman, he told Diana that it would be better to put the idea aside.

He doesn't have the hobby of spending the night with a woman he didn't love. And there wasn't even a part of Diana that defines a 'loving woman'—perhaps even in the future.

Diana said as if she had seen through him.

"Don't worry. Until I die, I will never love you."

'How would you know that?'

It was natural that he would be feeling embarrassed when he was shot by an unexpected response.

It was House Tristan that wanted this marriage. But he didn't like the way she didn't behave like a miserable woman being sold off.

It was the same now.

Diana's words were unexpected. She didn't say or do anything embarrassing because it seems having a relationship with him wasn't part of her plan.

However, his pride inevitably took a hit.

'Am I unattractive to the point that she would say that to me?'

Richard tried hard to hold in the urge to ask her that question.

* * *

It has already been a week since I came to Theodore's residence.

I suspected that all of the people inside this manor already knew me, and I, too, should begin to know them.