Chapter 10

"Then it's a pity." Richard received my father's words composedly.

"What do you mean?" Father gave an incredulous laugh after hearing Richard's nonchalant response.

Richard released his hand holding mine and suddenly rested it on my shoulder. It was big and rough.

I looked up at him in surprise at his unexpected behavior. Uncaring of the people around him, Richard soon hugged me as if trying to wrap me in his embrace.

"Since you mentioned that Diana's not your family, I don't think I will feel guilty about what I'm going to do in the future."

Richard soon laughed after saying something incomprehensible.

I was staring blankly at him while still wrapped in his arms.

No matter how much I encouraged him to use me, it was strange and awkward of him to behave this way when he had built a wall between us.

"Guilty? What are you up to, Lord Theodore?"

"I'll go through proper steps and then, you'll know. Look forward to it."

Richard's voice took on a dignified and profound tone. It was unshakable and confident. As if he could defeat the Duke of Tristan at any time.

Not long have I made a suggestion, however, he calculated everything in that short amount of time.

And have come to some conclusion.

I've got a rough idea. It was probably to take everything that's rightfully mine from the current Duke of Tristan.

My mother's official heir was me, so if I had enough time, money, and stamina, I would be able to take it away.

"Then, have a good night."

After a brief bow, Richard took me and weaved our way out of that confused crowd. Then, he led me to a quiet corner.

I got out of his embrace and looked up at him.

Richard had a smirk plastered over his cold expression while thinking of something.

"Foolish."

"What?" I asked as I couldn't contain my curiosity over Richard's words.

Then Richard glanced in my father's direction for a moment before looking at me.

"It's exactly as he is. A foolish man."

"You mean Father?"

"Yes."

"Richard, leaving aside how you plan to take action from now on, he was the one who deceived you. Aren't you angry at all?"

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't angry."

Richard paused for a moment. I didn't rush him and waited for his answer.

"But actions come with a price. If someone makes a fool out of me, he'd pay for it. It's funny how he's so arrogant not knowing what's coming to him."

I bowed my head in apology after seeing Richard's reaction.

"I'm sorry."

I apologized to him because it was true that my father and I deceived him by marrying me.

Although Richard accepted his offer to take advantage of the benefits of marrying me, he only had me to gain and nothing else.

Taking the position of Duke Tristan and all of my possessions was also something that Richard had to do on his own.