15| Nyx

Edited. 

I adjusted the straps of my floral sundress as I stared at myself in the mirror. It was Tuesday and my first day back at classes. I'd taken yesterday off because I was hungover and also to do some damage control back home. By the time I reached back at the flat, my dad was long gone, thankfully. Annie wasn't fibbing when she said he was in a great mood. He didn't yell at any of them, didn't raise a hand, didn't get upset with my vacancy. Annie, bless her heart, thought that he was getting better. But I wasn't the same. It was all very peculiar.

There was no way Matthew Taylor could just wake up one morning and decide to stop being a monster. I knew he loved us, but that didn't stop him from maltreating us. It was his way of controlling us. And if he was anything, he was a control freak. He wouldn't just let go of that in the blink of an eye. When Annie picked me up from the guys' place, I was astonished to find her unhurt. The same went for my other sisters. But I wasn't complaining, just suspicious.

The bathroom was empty, everyone probably having their lunch. I arrived late today since I'd attended a parent-teacher meeting with Annie in regards to Poppy. Like I knew she would, the blonde was at the top of her game, catching up on all the work she missed out on. Her teacher was very dazzled, though she had a few personal questions she voiced once Poppy was told to go play with the other kids. Things like Poppy's random bruises or how quiet she was, why she never raised her voice or why she never stood up for herself.

Annie countered placidly that Poppy was very bashful and that we were working on it. As for the bruises, volleyball practice easily covered that. Poppy was always diving for saves, banging into the ground. Her teacher was still a little sceptical but took our answers to heart.

So far, I missed my sports event management class as well as my sociology of sport class. I couldn't ask Nailea for notes since she didn't share those classes with me but I knew my Professors trusted me to get up to speed. I wasn't a top student just for shits and giggles, and they knew that.

I tipped over, tugging at the velvet material of my knee-high black platform boots. My dress was short in order to show off my pretty little boots. Since it was my first day back after the whole club fiasco, I needed to make an impression. Reaching into my bag, I pulled out the blood-red lipstick, applying it sleekly. I checked the time and realised this was when Nailea usually made her way to the cafeteria for lunch.

Content with my appearance, I fled the bathroom. Rumours must've spread about what happened at the club because some students were observing me. I cast them smiles and held my head high. A stroke of air alerted me that Nailea just materialised at my side. She didn't look at me and vice versa, facing forward and walking down the hallway, destination in mind.