25| Nyx

Edited.

"Okay, nobody's here right now," I muttered, shoving and twisting the key. The door wouldn't open, and I was beginning to get annoyed. "Fuck this bitch ass door-"

Beckham took the key from me with a laugh, easily opening the door, and I sighed in aggravation. "I guess I'm just experienced in inserting things."

I frowned at him, a little startled. "Refer to vaginas as keyholes again and I will murder you." He laughed harder, following me inside. We had a limited amount of time together. After Indigo's recital, everyone went back to his place for dinner, dinner that Beckham and I were tasked with ordering and picking up. Surprisingly, the guys had a great time at the recital and I wouldn't tell them, but I was glad they came.

Indigo needed everyone there. Everywhere she looked, she saw families clustering around her friends. She saw enthusiastic dads tossing their daughters into the air as they squealed. She saw emotional mothers crying and fawning over their daughters. I knew it would unnerve her. It always did. The same thoughts ran through my head during high school, when my parents weren't at my debate competitions, or when I gave speeches. Surrounded by all those people, I'd never felt so alone before. And I didn't want Indigo to feel like that, too. She was too young, too pure.

I told myself I wouldn't cry. I promised myself I wouldn't cry. But the moment Indigo stepped onto the stage looking like a baby swan, there was no holding back the tears. The fall was gradual, slow streams running down my probably red cheeks, and every few seconds, I would reach up to wipe it away. I did better than Annie, who tried her best to stop her ugly crying. Grayson had sat next to her, offering her tissue after tissue. Sebastian grinned when Indigo did a perfect jete.

Indigo was perfection, and I wanted her to always know that. I cheered when she did five consecutive pirouettes after she'd been struggling with it for a few days. "That's my sister!" Poppy had roared, nearly leaping out of her seat and Beckham had to pull her back. Indigo was laughing, skipping to the front before dropping into a middle split and then rolling into a backend.

The tears came back again when I saw the gigantic grin she was sporting as she twirled and the audience applauded. Just earlier, in the dressing room, she'd gotten cold feet. And there she was, enjoying every second of her solo. When the final timbre of the piano died down, we were up on our feet, screaming her name, and Indigo was crying, trying to laugh through her tears. She had a family there to support her.

Even Georgia was there with Julie. I'd done my best not to behave awkwardly, trusting Annie when she said she had everything under control. Georgia had given me an understanding smile and an encouraging pat on the shoulder like she knew I was picking up on something; I just didn't know what.