21

Chapter 22

   The entire school was put in lockdown because some kid in junior year posted a picture of his gun on Snapchat. Someone tipped off the principal, and our school was put on lockdown. For two hours, I was confined in a classroom with Bones, Harry, and Coach. Triple threat.

I'd never seen Coach that livid in my life. Every little sound seemed to transform his face into a grotesque shade of purple. He was probably waiting for that moment his entire life, when he'd finally get to act out his dictatorial fantasies.

However, it turned out that the so-called weapon was nothing more than a paintball gun.

They let us go from school later than expected, and I found myself inviting Carson over that afternoon since he wasn't at school. With an upcoming test on Monday, I needed all the help I could get.

"You disturbed my sleep for this," Carson remarked as he arrived. He looked tired and maybe even a little annoyed, but his tone was lighthearted, so I didn't take offense. It seems he slept a lot.

I moved to the side, allowing him to enter. I hastily arranged some snacks in the living room, not wanting him in my room as Miles was nearby and likely to eavesdrop. Taking a seat on the couch in the living room, I ensured there were vegetarian options for Carson. He arched his eyebrows at the spread before him but made no move to take any, suggesting he might have already eaten. I munched on some carrot and hummus.

"Should we get started?" Carson asked after checking his phone.

I licked the hummus off my fingers, which was thick and creamy. "Sure, let's."

He retrieved a notebook and a pen from his rucksack. I studied his hands while he jotted something down. Pale with prominent blue veins, with strangely feathery, massive fingers, they were indistinguishable. Like a guitarist, his hands were deft and skilled. Maybe that's why Kent had taken such a liking to him. Helping around the store and dealing with small car parts probably came easy to him.

"Max." In the middle of my daze, I was startled by Carson's stern tone. "Did you hear what I said?"

He was looking right at me, so he must've noticed my staring. "Uh, yeah, of course I was."

"Really?" he said that flatly, like it was more of a statement than a question. "Then what did I just say?"

"You were... talking about numbers?" I tried to be funny, but he wasn't having any of it.

"I'm glad you find wasting my time funny."

My initial reaction was one of confusion and embarrassment, similar to that of a child being scolded by their parents. "Oh, um, I'm sorry," I fumbled over my words. "My mind kind of drifted."

"Shit, sorry." He turned his face away from me. "I'm just not in the mood for anything right now."

I hesitated for a moment before speaking, "No, it's okay. Is there something on your mind? You seem... off."

He tried a smile, but it came across as horribly strained. "Everything's fine. I apologise for my earlier attitude."

"It's fine, you don't have to apologize. Look, we can just watch a movie and then continue later if you're feeling better." I got up from the couch.

"Thanks, Max," I heard him say quietly from behind me. He was slowly slipping into one of his moods. I wondered if he had taken his antidepressants that day.