23

Chapter 23

   We always knew when my brother was coming home. Always.

It was a dreary Sunday morning when the doorbell rang. Rarely did we receive visitors. Dad usually met up with friends at the bar, Miles would hang out with his band mates in the garage, and I went to other people's homes most of the time.

For some inexplicable reason, my heart skipped a beat. Miles and I emerged from our rooms simultaneously, sharing a glance that conveyed a sense of anticipation.

We dashed to the door, a tangle of limbs sprawled across the hallway and colliding with one another. Miles managed to reach the door first, flinging it open. And there stood Montgomery, seeming slightly unsure. He stood there in his suit and tie, a touch awkward on the porch, as though he had just returned from work.

"Oh my God, it's you!" I cried, launching myself into his arms.

Montgomery staggered back, wrapping an arm around me. "I missed you two. Miles, get over here."

We exchanged a clumsy three-way hug. I gave Miles a shove after his bony elbow accidentally poked my hip.

"I see nothing's changed." Montgomery smiled, then did a double take. "Where's Dad?"

"He's at the store, but he should be back soon," Miles said.

The two disappeared into the living room while I went to the kitchen and rummaged through our cabinets for something appetizing that wasn't rotting. Returning with a banana, I placed it on the coffee table. Miles and Montgomery settled on the couch, chatting and laughing. Video games were being played on the TV, which had already been set up by Miles. That was Miles' way of saying I missed you.

I joined them on the couch beside Montgomery, a spare controller in hand, the worn fabric carrying echoes of countless gaming sessions we once shared. The three of us used to game every day before Montgomery left. My eyes almost welled up. How I missed those days.

"Take... that." Montgomery's fingers sped over the control panel. He killed Miles' character. Miles moaned dramatically.

The Hudson family's competitive streak coursed through my veins, a familiar rhythm that echoed in the air. My brothers, the architects of countless childhood challenges, were to blame for my current predicament. The anticipation of their inevitable teasing fuelled my competitiveness as we huddled around the gaming console. My fingers danced across the controls at lightning speed, a flurry of movements to outwit Montgomery, who seemed to be growing more confident by the second. Not a problem. Sneaking up on him, I closed in and fired. Down he went, his character defeated on the screen.

Montgomery stared at the screen in disbelief, a hint of genuine surprise in his eyes. "I underestimated you."

"Our sister's getting good." My hair was ruffled by Miles.

I stuck my tongue out. "I'll cut you some slack, considering how long it's been since I've seen you, but you're still a loser."

We all burst out laughing. My heart felt sore. It was just like old times.

"So, what's the real reason for your visit?" Miles asked, switching off the T.V.

"I missed you guys. Isn't that a good enough reason?"

"You can reach us by phone at any time. So there's clearly more to it than that. Spill," I demanded.

"I'm waiting for Dad to come back," Montgomery said.