41

Sea birds overhead squawked their low, repetitive calls

Sea birds overhead squawked their low, repetitive calls. Waves crashed against the ferry, spraying foam and water droplets onto the deck as the breeze tousled Delphinium's hair. White tendrils from her high ponytail whipped her face.

She stood at the edge of the railing, gazing out at the endless expanse of the Maniport. With nothing but the sound of the lake and the isolation of an entire body of water, Corinthian and the masked assassin seemed leagues away. Now that the latter had disappeared into virtually nothing, they had another foe to worry about. And he was much more fearsome than any Needle.

Letting her eyes shut, Delphinium relished in the salty air. If only it could be like this forever.

She turned as soon as she sensed an approacher. Of all her teammates, she did not expect Jake. But there he was, bored as ever.

"What is it? Are the others discussing something important I should hear?"

"Just socializing."

"Are you not one for casual, friendly conversation?"

Aware she was poking fun at him, he leveled her a dark look. "I know you and Peterson were talking about me yesterday. Tell me what you said."

Delphinium narrowed her eyes. Did he think she was doling out information she shouldn't be? Besides his fall from grace, she doubted she knew anything of importance about him. And she intended to keep it that way.

"Not much." Propping her arms against the railing, Delphinium feigned casualness. "Finn was suspicious that we rescued them. As everyone is, he'd convinced you're a maniac. Seeing as he's the only non-criminal here, I simply enlightened him to the sacrifices our world calls for. I also alluded to the fact that people have more facets than one." Against all odds, she held eye contact, wondering if the last comment had been too direct. Corinthian had called him a snake, after all.

"Why."

"Is this your way of thanking me for defending your sanity?" she asked, despite the fact that she had done it solely for herself. She refused to look like a lunatic by association.

"This is my way of asking you why you did it."

Torn between laughing and sighing, she said, "Not everyone plans out everything they do. Consider it payback for when you killed that Needle holding me at gunpoint." She gave a wave of dismissal. "Now we're even." Hopefully that would be enough to make him stop asking questions.

"Even? Save my ass as many times as I've had to save yours. Then I'll consider it."

Her face screwed. "You're delusional, Evans."

"You're in debt, Tesla." Turning away, he went inside to unsettle someone else. Delphinium was left alone with her thoughts and the view once again.