46

Delphinium wasn't sure whether to scoff or slam the door and lock herself safely in the room

Delphinium wasn't sure whether to scoff or slam the door and lock herself safely in the room. Jake Evans seeking her out for help was the last thing she expected.

"What are you talking about?"

He was not in the mood for stalling. "I will give necessary information on the way."

"You can't tell me now?" Delphinium's anxiety made her far from easily persuaded; she would die before she put herself in a situation in which she had to trust Jake with her life.

"This outing is under wraps. And it will remain that way."

Her frown twisted further. What could he possibly be doing that he needed to keep a secret? And why was she the exception?

"The first phase of destroying Corinthian's empire begins tonight," Jake said, sensing she had no intention of moving along. "And it comes with time constraints. We're leaving now."

"Fine. Give me a second." She shut the door as softly as possible to not make it seem like she was slamming it in his face.

Delphinium went immediately for the secret weapon hidden in her pillowcase's lining. The shiv would be her best, and only, bet in a physical fight. She wasn't about to bring a gun with rubber bullets from downstairs.

It was hidden up her sleeve by the time Delphinium opened the door again, revealing Jake looming impatiently down the austere hall. The second she glimpsed an allusion of a setup, the makeshift weapon would be lodged in his nonexistent heart.

"Hunt will know if we leave," she reminded him when she matched his pace.

"He already knows. I was truthful. The location, however, wasn't."

Delphinium imagined Hunt thought Jake was playing mind games by unexpectedly alerting him ahead of time. Perhaps he was. They were out the front entrance in no time; the others were nowhere to be found. When the large steel doors shucked open to permit them through, Delphinium kept expecting to hear alarms. But the night was silent out there, especially as it almost instantly swallowed them from view.

"You cannot possibly believe he bought it."

"Of course not," he said, as if Delphinium should have known better than to say it. "He's sending men to tail us as we speak. Once we're in the Carrion District, I can shake them. And when it's all done, they will lament the proof that this work will always go more smoothly for me than it ever would for them."

The gate opened before they even fully approached it. Delphinium forced her eyes forward, but she knew the soldiers were watching and deciding the best moment to begin following in secret.