Chapter 10

CARLO'S POV:

"Ciao." Emilio announces as he comes up beside me patting a hand onto my shoulder.

"Ciao brutto." (Hello ugly) I say back and he gasps pretending to be hurt.

"Carlo, don't lie to yourself." He points to the whole room filled with people. "Everyone in this room knows I'm the handsome one out of the two of us." He flicks up the collar of his blazer.

"Are you sure?" I smile looking down at the papers in front of me. Bella sits at the side of me reading some stupid book that I don't even know if she understands.

"Twenty dollars." Emilio mumbles nudging my shoulder.

"Fine." I roll my eyes and Emilio stops the first guy to walk past our table.

"Hey! You." He points to him and the guy looks confused and scared. "Who's more handsome? Me-" Emilio wiggles his eyebrows. "Or Carlo." Then he looks me up and down with disgust.

"Carlo." The guy answers and I chuckle a little.

"Well fuck you." Emilio stands up with his legs spread apart a little and arms crossed, the guy walks off to finish doing his job.

I hold my hand out to the side whilst writing something down waiting for the money. Emilio kisses his teeth and slaps the money in my hand.

"He only said you because he's scared of you." He mutters, throwing a hissy fit.

"Here." I pass the money over to Bella and she smiles a little, lifting her leg up a little to put it into the side pocket of her cargo pants she's wearing.

"Thanks." She mumbles and carries on reading.

Once Emilio has finished his little bitch fit he sits down and leans forward on his elbows unbuttoning his blazer with one hand so it opens up at his side.

"What does the new note say?" He asks.

Emilio has been here for a week now and we've only had one note come through and that was today.

"That it's clear to start looking again." I rub my eyes tiredly and when I open them again Bella is looking at me worried. "What?"

"You should get some sleep." She mutters, looking from one of my eyes to the other.

"She's right. If we're going to start looking again you need to be more awake." Emilio adds.

I glare at the both of them and stretch a little, "I'm fine." I sit down and slouch as far as I can, crossing my arms.

"Go to bed now!" A voice shouts from behind me, I jump slightly and turn to see Giovanni glaring down at me.

"No." I roll my eyes and start looking at some papers, a pinch on the back of my neck makes me huff. Giovanni drags me from the office all the way to my room squeezing slightly to prove that I have to listen.

"Carlo, you need to sort yourself out." Giovanni slams my bedroom door behind us and pushes me into the room. "You need to stop the drinking, the getting high, the shouting, the lashing out at everyone, and you need to start sleeping properly."

I sigh and take my blazer off. "I'm serious Carlo. What if we get Adelaide back and she does have a child with her? Do you really think she's going to want an alcoholic looking after her kid?" He glares at me.

"I'm not an alcoholic." I mutter under my breath. "I'm already prepared for the both of them to come home." I point over to the crib I built beside our bed. "I've already brought everything." I point over to the other side of the room where a newly installed cabinet was fitted and is already filled up with diapers and clothes and whatever is needed.

"I'm going to be fine." I sit on the edge of the bed with my head in my hands.

Giovanni sighs before walking over to me and sitting on the bed next to me. "I'm glad you've prepared. Really I am."

"I know-." I lift my head up and look straight forward. "-I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, she might not even have the child anymore." I feel my eyes tear up at the thought of her going through it all by herself.

There's a long uncomfortable silence.

"I'm going to get some sleep." I say quietly and stand up walking over to the wardrobe to get changed.

When I walk back out Giovanni is gone and I get into the bed. I pull out one of Adelaide's hoodies from under the covers and hold it close to me. Tears fall down my face and I silently cry with the thoughts of Adelaide and all of the small habits she does.

How she'd sometimes hold up her hands doing an 'L' shape with her fingers whenever she got confused with her left and right. When she'd get angry at herself and end up stuttering a little when her brain would confuse her on what she was saying. Or she can't say a word properly. How she would absentmindedly dance whilst cleaning something. The small humming and twirling a pen around her fingers whilst concentrating on something. When she couldn't reach a hug properly she would go up onto her tiptoes to reach. Her fascination with butterflies.

I could go on and on about Adelaide, her brown hair that flows effortlessly. Her grey eyes that hold a meaning of survival. A smile that brightens my day when nothing else can. How when she cries and all I want to do is hold her because she has been hurt too much before. Her father will always be dead to me, literally.

I really need her back home.