CHAPTER FOUR: THE GUEST

🪘🪘🪘

THE GUEST

Okay, first, I'm not racist. I mean, I've traveled out before. I've been amid a people that aren't the same complexion or race with me. Second, his presence took me by surprise, so his complexion was the only thing that spoke to me at the moment. I mean, I didn't expect to see a white man at my cousin's traditional wedding in the village.

"I'm sorry. Go ahead." He broke the silence first, withdrawing his hand from the spoon. I withdrew my hand as well.

"It's okay. You're a guest and I'm not, so-so go ahead." I added, feeling the need to be polite. He flashed another faint smile, and I couldn't help smiling back.

"Or, I can just serve you." I opted with a wider smile and only after those words left my lips did I wonder why I said them. Without waiting for his reply, I dropped my plate, took his from him, and scooped two spoons of fried rice onto it.

"Chicken? Fish? Salad?" I asked, and he was hesitant, almost as if he wasn't sure about what to say, so my hands moved faster than my thoughts and I saw myself putting a piece of chicken, fish and two spoons of salad on his plate. I picked up a spoon, placed it on his plate, and pushed it to him. He looked from it to me and back to it before he took it from me. His eyes were back on me, a tinge of amusement in them. His lips moved, an obvious attempt to say something, and yet, he couldn't get it out.

"Well, enjoy." I chirped with a wider smile, and he nodded in return. I watched him turn away and gradually my smile diminished as I watched him walk, slightly limping as he did. After a blink or two, I looked away.

He was limping?

I shook my head to rid myself of any strange thoughts. So, what if he limps? It was none of my business. I drew in a deep breath and, pushing the irrelevant thoughts aside, I picked up my plate, served myself some delicacy and was on my way back to my seat.

He was good looking, nicely built, and yet... what happened to his leg? I couldn't stop my thoughts from running back to the stranger as I watched him from where I sat under the canopy, opposite the one he was in. His eyes drifted over to me and met mine and I froze for a second out of surprise, but was quick to look away soon after.

No! He saw me staring.

Calmly, I stood to my feet and without looking in his direction, I made my way out of there and back into the house. Once in the shield of my home, I placed both hands on my chest and peeked out. Thankfully, he didn't follow me. I drew in a deep breath and I let out a loud sigh before making my way further into the house. There were elderly guests in the living room, so for me, that was a no-go area. The kitchen-right-I should go there.

"Ruby, I know it's none of my business but... your sister-in-law, I cannot believe she let Chidera get married before Kasie, knowing full well what that could do to Kasie's reputation."

I halted right by the side of the entrance upon hearing my name from a stranger's mouth.

"And why not? Chidera was ready to get married, and Kasie wasn't. Should my daughter wait forever because of Kasie?" Aunt Ruby replied, sharper than I would have expected. Although, I've always known she was one to say whatever came to her mind-a trait her son inherited-but it hurt slightly to hear her speak that way.

"Times have really changed, haven't they?" The stranger added.

"Indeed, my dear, they have, and I thank God for that. Listen, I need to attend to some guests, we'll speak later." She had barely finished her sentence when I hurried my way out of there, for fear that she might see me and I'd have to face her and awkwardly pretend like I didn't just hear her not care about what happened to me.

Hidden with my back faced out, she walked by, barely noticing anyone was there. Only after that did I turn away from the wall and watch her go. A light sigh escaped my lips. Why do I bother? I wondered.

"Here you are." Jachi's voice redirected my gaze in her direction, and I watched her hurry to me. "I've been looking all over for you. We have to take group pictures and Chidera said to get you." She said. She locked arm with me and without waiting for as much as a definite reply from me, she dragged me along with her.

The moment we finished taking pictures, I slipped out of their midst, made my way back into the house and up to my room. I'm over today, and unable to stretch myself any longer. All I wanted was to throw my back on the bed, forget everything and have a good sleep. Wait, I should probably wipe the makeup off my face and have my bath first.

I stood to my feet and for a good minute struggled with unzipping my dress myself. Finally, I did it and off it went. A sigh of relief left my lips before I took out a face wipe and began wiping off every ounce of makeup I had on. Soon, I was walking into the bathroom.

The door flung open and both Jachi and Lota stared at me wide eyed from where I kneeled beside my box, trying to sort out a few things.

"W-what happened? You undressed?" Jachi said, sounding confused as they walked in, she leading while Lota shut the door after her. Though hesitant, I nodded.

"But... but it's not over. Chidera is asking after you." The disbelief was obvious in Jachi's expression.

"She's married, isn't she? All that's left are people reluctant to go home, and I'm tired. I can't loiter around anymore." I explained, going back to what I was doing. Their silence lasted for a while before Jachi broke it.

"You didn't even get to have a close talk with Eze. He's out there right now, ready to meet you."

I lifted my eyes to her. "We're family now, right? I can talk to him any other day, even tomorrow." I hoped they understand me for once and not try to push the matter any further. They exchanged momentary glances before quietly turning away and walking back to the door. Without saying anymore words, they both left the room and shut the door afterwards.

A minute after they left, I was still mulling over the scene that just played out. I didn't sound cold, did I? It was simple. I didn't want to meet anyone anymore or end up eavesdropping on a conversation that I was the subject. This was the reason I was always reluctant to come home during the holidays: the drama was too much for me. It was always one thing or the other. Hopefully, this holiday ended quickly and I could leave.

* * *

It was all I always imagined it to be, my wedding. Pearly white A-line dress with net sleeves, a veil with a long train, and a fresh bouquet of different coloured roses. The sun was bright, not hot, but sunny enough for an outdoor wedding. I was walking down the aisle in one of the most beautiful parks with an amazing scenery, and my groom was waiting underneath a small white canopy. On getting there, he reached out a hand for me to hold on to. I accepted his hold, and only when I stood in front of him did I look up at his face.

White. That was the only word that came to mind. Not sure why, but he smiled, and I smiled back, feeling like I was on top of the world. That was it. I was getting married, and I was beyond ecstatic. We both turned to the officiating minister only to meet masquerade, and in a split second, he slit my husband-to-be's throat with something sharp. A scream escaped my lips as I watched his blood spurt out of the cut.

Immediately, I shot out of bed, awake. My breathing was rapid, heart racing faster than normal, and sweat trickling down my back and forehead. I felt scared-terrified of what I'd seen in the strange nightmare. I wasn't sure, but I had seen a few of them either on Tv, on the road for reasons knowns to them only or during festivals to have a vivid idea of how they looked and it was enough for me to know who-or what-I had seen was a masquerade. Yes, it was one I had never seen before and... White... how strange was it that the white man I met earlier yesterday was my groom?

I ran both hands over my face. What is wrong with me?