CHAPTER NINETEEN: K-I-S-S-I-N-G

🪘🪘🪘

K-I-S-S-I-N-G

Turns out, mum heard most of my conversation with Chidera and the look on her face isn't welcoming at all. I was back in the same living room, seated quietly on one sofa while mum sat on another, her eyes lowered. For what felt like forever, we sat in silence and I wondered if she'll ever say anything.

"You know it can't happen, right?" She asked, speaking up.

"W-what can't happen?" I played dumb.

She sighed before lifting her eyes to me. "You and Eze's friend. It can't happen."

"Let me guess, because I have to marry Kamalu, right mum?" I stated the obvious before looking away from her in irritation.

"Kasie, this is not a joke. As your mother, don't you think I want you to be happy? But... not this way. It's too risky."

"Mum, recently, when you talk, I don't understand a single word you're saying. How is a relationship between me and Cergio risky for this family?" I asked, looking her in the eyes and hoping she wouldn't keep playing puzzles with me. It was getting tiring.

Mum took a hold of her ear, drawing it lightly. "Kasie, a word is enough for the wise."

I watched her stand to her feet and walk away. Frustration was the only emotion I could feel at the moment. I have my reasons for not wanting to start something with Cergio, but the fact mum's being this way, it just makes me want to do the opposite of what she wants, which is also what I told myself not to do. Neither of them is making the affirmation of my final decision any easier.

I rested my elbows on my knees and buried my face in my palms.

Early that evening, I paced back and forth within the room in sheer nervous as I rubbed my hands together. I spared the clock on the wall a look and it was 6:55, five minutes left to 7o'clock. What am I doing? Already, I'd made it clear to myself that I won't be meeting up with him. It's better that way, as I wasn't sure of what my reply would be once he's in front of me.

Finally, I sat down on the bed. All of my thoughts jumbled inside my head. My confusion persisted, and I felt more torn apart than I've ever felt. This really isn't working. Suddenly, I stood to my feet. I need to occupy my thoughts. I have to forget that time is ticking and with that thought, I hastened out of the room and towards the stairs.

Walking into Chidera and Jachi's bedroom, I met Lota and Jachi lying on the bed, their eyes glued to the screen of the laptop in front of them.

"Hey, you came to my room, today." Jachi stated in sarcastic excitement, a smile on her face. Lota let out a light laughter, and I squeezed my brows at her words.

"Are you trying to say I don't come here often?" I asked as I folded my arms below my chest and watched as Jachi nodded. My stare at her was longer than I would prefer, but really, I had little to back me up in countering what she said.

"Whatever. What are you two doing?" I asked, leaning a little forward to get a look at the screen. "Movie." I replied my question, and they both nodded.

Drawing in a deep breath, I thought for a second. I need a distraction and I can't clean anymore because I already did that.

"Shift you two. I'm joining you." I announced, and they both looked at me with raised brows.

"Really? You never watch movies." Lota stated, and again, I furrowed my brows at her words.

"I do, maybe rarely often, but I do. Now, shift, I'm in the middle." I declared, and without waiting for anymore reaction or word from them, I took off my flip-flops and climbed onto the bed. Once they created a space in their midst, I laid there, making myself comfortable.