4-Fugitive

Sneaking quietly towards the barn and avoiding every window was undoubtedly the most terrifying mission I had ever accomplished.

I made a run for Fiona's stall; wasn't the fastest horse in the stable but I didn't have the luxury of being picky. They could have realized I was gone any minute and start looking. I did take the time to quickly saddle her, two thoughts running in my head : one; this wasn't some action movie and I was no fucking stuntman. The last thing I needed while escaping was accidentally sliding off her back and cracking my skull open, two; Kelsey was dead.

Kelsey was dead...

I mounted her and made a dash for the field. She made so much noise running, i'm aware she was but an innocent animal with no idea what was happennig but for a split second I thought she was doing it on purpose. It truly felt like everyone was conspiring against me.

The sound of a bucket hitting the floor made me turn my head around to see Maria on the ground at the barn's door, I had almost run her over, she got up quickly and started shouting in Spanish.

You unconscious fucking snitch! You're sending me to my grave.

I kept running through the field towards the trees. I heard the van's engine roar and the lights turn on as the agents got in their vehicle and started trailing behind me.

Fuck my life!

I needed to lose them. The van couldn't possible get far into the forest, could it? It was a matter of whether I would be able to outrun them til I got to it.

The CIA wasn't a law enforcement agency. Marshall's division wasn't in security protective services either. He was specialized in public relations, most precisely shifter relations; What I'm trying to get with this, is that he shouldn't have been carrying weapons on him, which is why I was absolutely astonished when a bullet hit the side of my saddle.

What-

What the actual fuck, were they trying to kill me?

And then it dawned on me; They were trying to shoot Fiona down.

I kicked her and she bolted even faster. We were so close...

So close!

Just a few more minutes and we'd be behind trees.

Another bullet...

I looked behind me quickly and my gaze fell upon Marshall; He was sitting on the car's window with his torso outside, a gun between two hands, focused, aiming for me; my heart raced. He shouldn't have a gun on him. Something wasn't right. He didn't tell me everything. The bullet missed me. I started running in zigzags. I had never held onto a horse lead so hard in my entire life. I had never been so scared. Ever. Not even back in that basement.

Marshall was lying to me, of that I am convinced.

What was going on?...

Another bullet. It hit the heel of my boot which exploded. For a moment, I felt warmth in my foot I thought it hit me.

I made it to the forest. I glanced behind me again and the van lights were getting closer, worse, Maria's husband was catching up on horseback and holding onto another horse's lead.

Fuck these people.

They were going to give Marshall a way to track me on horseback, and they knew these woods better than me.

I stopped immediately once inside the forest. I heard horses coming into my direction. I got off Fiona then slapped her backside.

"YAH!" she bolted on her own. I dived inside the first bush I could find. My heart pounding in my ears and my breathing heavy. Two horses passed by my hiding spot right after. Marshall was on one. They didn't notice that Fiona was running with no rider.