23

"I talked to Claire last night."

You almost spat out the coffee, "You did what?"

"I talked to her and it didn't go well.", Jungkook sighed, "Bad. It went downhill."

You blinked twice, "You ran that stupid mouth of yours, didn't you?"

"Hey!"

"Don't even try to defend, Jeon.", you scolded, "Me out of all people know how rude you can be."

He nodded quietly.

"So, what now? Did you reach a conclusion?", you were already sliding of his ring from your finger, "Here take this."

Jungkook looked at you flabbergasted, "Oh, this",   he took the ring, "Y/N...I have something to tell you."

You knew what he exactly he was going to say. When he called you early in the morning, saying you should be at your regular meet up spot because he had something to tell you, you felt butterflies flutter in your stomach. Past days have been filled with both of you knowing each other more, getting into each other's space.

Call it a soulmate hunch, but as soon as you saw him sitting quietly at the corner most spot of the café, you knew, it would be anything but what you actually want him say to you.

"Tell.", you urged him.

"I don't want you to wait for me.", Jungkook said in a breath, "I thought it was possible for me to fall in love again but when I met her last night, everything hit me at once. I could feel it fresh, like everything happened just yesterday and all I could think is of her."

You listened.

"I'm sorry Y/N.", he said extending his hands to hold yours but you placed them on your lap.

"I understand Jungkook.", your eyes were red with unshed tears, "I think it's better if we don't see each other anymore."

"Y/N, please--"

"You've hurt me enough Jungkook. I need to protect myself from you.", you got up, "I won't be answering to any form of contact from your side if that comes. Bye."

Then you walked out of the café.

And on the way to your dorm, you made two calls. First to coach Shin, informing him about  withdrawal of your participation from the championship game. Second, conference called Jimin, Yoongi, Ena and Sasha relaying everything Jungkook said to you.

You won't mop over a stupid boy anymore. You already had a lot on your plate and a confused boy can't drag you down.

~~~~

In the next practice session, Jungkook didn't get to see you.

"Coach, where's Y/N?", he glanced around once more, "Isn't she coming?"

Coach Shin deflated, "She withdrew so naturally, she won't be coming anymore. I wonder what happened. That's already a bad news for our squad."

Jungkook didn't expect you to put your words into action immediately. But seemed, you were pretty effectively cutting ties with him.

"Coach, I want to captain the team.", Jimin announced suddenly.

"But Jungkook said he wanted to be the captain and you had no objections.", Coach Shin asked, "Why now?"

"Nothing is sent out yet right?", Yoongi said, "Majority of the players of this squad comprises of our departmental team. So I think, it'll be better if Jimin leads because we're used to play under his captain ship."