Six Little Trials

Harry Potter was convinced that he was the only one of his friend who knew how to whistle. He was whistling his catchiest tunes, but Hermione and Ron were silent, almost as if they were trying to sneak around. Obviously they weren't, because Harry wasn't wearing the invisibility cloak, even if his followers were. Perhaps the songs he was whistling hadn't come out yet?

Oh well.

Harry walked down the long hallways, doll tucked in his pockets, going unmentioned, for once.

Professor Mcgonagall sighs at the sight of Harry. She looks around, expecting Ron and Hermione, and possibly the rest of Gryffindor to be with him. He seemed to be alone. To her, it was a relief.

"Mister Potter, what are you doing out of your common room?"

"Professor! You won't believe me, but Snape's going to steal the Philosopher's stone! You've got to stop him!"

Mcgonagall didn't look surprised or impressed. "Mister Potter, it is preposterous that a Hogwarts professor would ever try to do something like that. You know you're supposed to be in your common room. I suppose I should be thanking you, at least, for not dragging any of your more impressional classmates along with you. You might have gotten the school burned down."

She swept on by him, deciding not to press her luck and discover what sort of shenanigans he was actually up to. She'd rather let the headmaster deal with it.

Every conversation she had with the boy left her with a headache.

"See?" Said Harry, to no one in particular. "I told you she wouldn't believe me. I should take divination next third year. I'd ace it."

Hermione stepped out from under the cloak, and shoved Harry foreword.

"Just get this over with. We just about got expelled, and if this turns out to be a waste of time, I'll find a hex that stops you from talking for a month."

Neville and Draco stood in a room with soft harp music playing.

They took in the gently plucked melodies and the deep snoring of three heads.

The duo had heard Potter & Co. discussing where they were headed, and because the trio was prone to distraction, Neville and Draco had made it to the forbidden corridor before them.

Not that they knew it.

"Why do you think she did it?" Asked Neville quietly. There was no doubt in his mind that Hermione must have set up the harp.

"When did she have the time to learn how to do this? It's not like Potter ever give her time to study? Does she even sleep?" Draco responded.

"I doubt it."

"I'm not going down the hole."

Draco would not go down the hole.

Neville sighed.

Harry, Hermione, and Ron arrived at the third floor corridor, about twenty minutes after their encounter with Mcgonagall.

The harp was still playing, and the gang slipped into the passage under the trapdoor without much discussion.

They found themselves tangled in something slimy.

Harry knew what they were stuck in, but he still left his friends to figure it out.

"I can't see what we're trapped in!"

"Then make some light! It's not like I can see any better!" said Ron.

"How? I don't have any matches!"