08 ―『 fireworks 』

Chapter Eight - Fireworks.

───────────────────────

My eyes were wide as I look at him. "W-what?"

He hugged his knees, looking at the view below. "When I was a kid, I was always abused by my parents."

"The fireworks display will soon start, please go to the fountain where it will be held."

Someone from the speaker. I can hear noises below us as everyone starts to go to the said place. I'm pretty sure the other four are trying to find us right now.

Oh well, the fireworks would look much better in this view, anyway.

I heard a sniff. Looking at Haruchiyo, he was trying hard not to cry. "One time, I came home late. I was too engrossed at the game I was playing in the computer shop that I forgot what time it was. When I went inside, my Mom was in the kitchen, washing the dishes. And my Dad, well, he was sitting on the couch, glaring his eyes on me."

He heaved a deep breath, continuing his story. "I was about to greet them when he suddenly slapped me, hard. Then, he grabbed my hair and pulled me towards the kitchen." He was trembling, it was obvious. "His hold was too strong that it felt like my scalp is going to rip off. The next thing I knew, I flew through the room, hitting my back hard on the wall."

"I thought... I thought Mom's going to defend me. But instead, she handed him a knife, saying that I should be taught a lesson for coming home late." He must've not take it anymore as tears started to fall from his eyes.

Without thinking, I streched my hand towards his face, wiping the tears smudging his cheeks.

"Then he... he fucking sliced both sides of my lips. The next thing I knew, blood was all over me, flowing through the floor as its metallic taste lingered on my tongue."

My breath hitched. "W-What?" I asked, making sure I wasn't hearing things.

Haruchiyo nodded. "It hurt, so much. I was five that time."

I stayed silent as he continues to cry. Not able to take the sight, I look away. I can't look at him without remembering what he just told me. It felt as if I witnessed what happened to him, my heart felt painful.

Five years old. He was a literal child when it happened. Who it their right mind would literally put a scar on their children not only on the body, but also in their soul?

He was, just like me.

We have tons of similarities. Both victims of abuse. Both the outsider of the family. The black sheep, the bad luck, the least favorite.

Somehow, I understood him. I relate to what he felt.

We may have suffered differently. I may have suffered more than him or he may have suffered more than me. It won't change the fact that we were both scarred and traumatized by our dark pasts.

It must've been hard for him to go on. Having nightmares, suddenly remembering a part of his past that may trigger his trauma. I'm so proud of him for being so strong until now.

Right now, I feel like I should also share my side of the story. Others may misunderstood my intentions when they're listening to our conversation, but I just want him to feel that he's not suffering alone.

"You know, I was also a victim of abuse," I muttered, earning a surprised look from him.

"I would always get beaten up by my Mom whenever I won't give the food I worked hard on earning to them. Even though I stood no chance, I still fought back. But in the end, I still failed. She still got able to take it as she feast on my hard work. Then give the left overs to my other seven siblings, leaving me alone in the corner watching them as my stomach growls."

A chuckle came out of my lips as I looked at his reaction. "That's why I ran away when I was able to save enough money that I secretly hid. Then along the way, I met Shinichiro. They let me live under their roof, even almost legally made me a Sano! But I refused, they've already done enough."

Being with the three siblings was something I will forever be grateful of. The affection they gave me, something that I was deprived of, overwhelmed me that I cried one time, not used to this kind of treatment.

Before, it was bruises, curses, and words of regrets. But now, it was love, care, and words of affection. Two things with very big differences, yet I was able to experience both.

"But you know, as I was growing up, I started to realize something." I raised my index finger in front of him, "One, was to never let anger get the best of you," I said before raising my middle finger, "and two, always be happy on everything you're experiencing. Be it good or bad."

"The countdown will start shortly."

"You know, life is like a novel. You'll never know what comes after every chapter. There will be unexpected scenes, betrayals, plot twists, and a roller coaster ride of emotions."

"5..."

"You won't learn something if you haven't read it yet or should I say, experience it. That's why rather than skipping a few parts, better read everything thoroughly, because every word is important."

"4..."

"Sure you'll feel pain, you'll suffer, you'll get to experience something shitty. But you know what? It's fine! It's all part of the plot."

"3..."

"Just like I said last time. Always be grateful on anything. May it be good or bad. Because fate has already planned your future on your behalf. All you need to do is to go with the flow. Even if you are the worst person in this time, you'll eventually grow into something else. Character Development exists, you know."

"2..."

"Once you're story has ended, you will start to feel nostalgic as you re-read or I guess, 'reminisce' everything you've been through. Then you'll start to realize how much you've change. How you became the person you've always wanted to be."

"1..."

The same time, at this very moment. As the fireworks started to fill the sky, his eyes sparkled.

I don't know what I'm feeling. It felt so wrong but at the same time, so right. It doesn't make any sense, but it feels like it does.

But I don't care. I don't care if things get some unexpected turns. I don't care if the plot's starting to get messy. Heck, I don't care if I'm going to die in my own novel. As long as I'm with him, it's like all the puzzle pieces are being put into the right places.

"You may not understand what I'm saying. But someday, at the very end of the very last chapter, you will."

With him, everything just makes sense.

───────────────────────

rosie.

an: sanzu's backstory is not canon and was just a figment of my imagination. i myself don't know about his past so please do not be mistaken by this information.