xliv.

Maj

“Your travels were okay?” Kuna asked Joshua.

I was sitting at the table as they made lunch. Joshua was cutting vegetables and Kuna was working a soup base. Some cream of something else soup. Kuna used to make it all the time when Joshua worked here.

“Yeah, Soran had a lot of trouble trying to pack our stuff into two bags.” He laughed. “It was so nice of the lady to invite us. And it’s good to see the creepy portrait of Lord Damon is still hanging up.”

“Yeah I’ve been trying to get Maj to take it down for at least a few weeks.” Kuna stuck their tongue out at me.

“Yeah, yeah.” I waved them off. “It’s really high up, I’d need help.”

“Or the lady. . . Seves, she’s tall.” Kuna whistled in awe.

Joshua laughed and slide the veggies over to Kuna who prompt dumped them into the soup. “Is she? I only saw her sitting down, but she looked tall.”

“Hey! She’s only an inch taller than me! And Joshua’s taller than her!” I retorted.

“Then why don’t you go take down the portrait?” Kuna said.

“Wow. . . It’s like watching my grandparents fight.” Joshua laughed. “I missed your little arguments.”

“Hey!”

Joshua shook his head with a smile and changed the topic. “Did you guys know about Jay and her? That’s some sappy stuff. Made me think about Soran and I when we started going out.”

I sighed. “Yeah. . . I found out some time ago but I didn’t know for sure. I told Lady Dupon to stay away from her. I know, I know. . . it wasn’t a smart decision but I didn’t think it would be good for Jayen. . . especially after Jinan.”

Joshua nodded thoughtfully. “I get it, but trust me. I only spoke to her and Jay for a little bit and they seem happy together. They clearly haven’t been together for very long but it’s already looking better then her and Jinan. Speaking of who. . . it was really awkward seeing him.”

Kuna laughed. “You’re telling us! We have to see the little twerp everywhere. After he lost he’s been pretty restrained to the stables down the road and sleeping here.”

“Lost what?” Joshua tilted his head.

“Nothing!” Kuna and I said in unison.

“A bet.” Kuna shrugged. “That’s all.”

Technically, that was true.

“Man. . . I still can’t stop thinking about it. My little baby sister is being courted!” Joshua smiled bigger than I’d ever seen him smile. “I’m gonna have a sister-in-law and Jay’s gonna have a wife. . . they grow up so fast.”

“Wait wait, hold on. . .” Kuna’s eyes were wide. “Courting?”

Joshua froze. “Uh-oh. Was I not supposed to say anything?”