❥ 32. Oneirodynia

Oneirodynia (noun)

Restless, disturbed sleep. Characterized by nightmares and sleepwalking.

♡♡

The phone ring jolted her out of the studying mode, making her flinch at the sudden ring resonating the quite room. Mahira snapped the book close, gritting her teeth in annoyance. Flipping it back on her bed, she started searching for the hollering device.

“Already I and chemistry are at loggerheads, why can’t they let me study?” She whined, complaining about the torturous subject. She groaned reading the caller’s name but received it.

“Throw your phone away if you can’t pick up at first ring.” Came the voice, Mahira rolled her eyes in response.
“Only if you promise you won’t miss talking to me” Mahira said smugly, picking her book and settling it on her lap she continued “Why did you call? I’m not explaining math to you”

“Then I won’t help you with Chem buttercup.”

Mahira could bet she squinted her eyes in a proper threatening glare. “We’ll see. What is it Kalki?”

“Now you talking business” She beamed excitedly. “We are having a party tonight so you need to come. You’re invited”

Mahira nibbled on her bottom lip, fidgeting with pencil “K you know how…"

“Stop drawing circles with your pencil, I’m not erasing them for you tomorrow.” Mahira looked down to find her doing the exact “And listen ask at your home for a group study, give them excuses that you’re failing at science which you already are so those coast guards of your prisoned island won’t object. Dress up casually and reach my place. You can change into one of my dresses for the party” She plotted.

“It’s not easy as said. Jethi-ma will never…” Mahira hugged herself on the bed, book long forgotten.

“Ask your Mom Mish, Your Jethi-ma can’t object if aunty permits you” she reasoned.

Her heart sunk; the empty pit of stomach wasn’t just hunger. “Ma…she is…under sedatives again” She breathed.

“What?”

She blinked the tears back. “She had one of her episodes of attacks. They put her under infused sleep. She ain’t up until now” She fed her the happenings.

“W…when did this happen?” She asked.

“Morning, After I left. I don’t know what happened but when I came back doctor Uncle gave me a call to inform” She whispered.

“Mish I…”

She wiped her cheeks and sat straight “You know what, I will give them an excuse. I’m coming for this party. We’ll have fun”

“This is my girl, my best friend” Kalki cheered on her. “Now be quick and come here. I’ll prepare for both us. Bye”

“Bye” Mahira Murmured in reply, half fake, half real smile lacing her face. She rolled the metal device between her fingers and stood up.