12. pretend

"BUCKLE UP," Dally jokes as he turns Buck's key in the ignition

"Pffft," I scoff, trying to ignore the feeling I'd gotten when Dal had let go of my hand. "Since when do you care about seatbelts?"

"Since Darry said he'd kill me if anything happens to you.. or somethin' like that."

"Oh my gosh," I groan, palming my face. "Just hurry up and get us outta here, will you?" I glance out the car window to see Darry and Sodapop still watching us from their front porch. Darry looks a little worried, and Soda won't stop grinning at me, stupidly.

I shrink myself down in the passenger seat as Dal pushes the gas pedal, chuckling at me.

"This whole thing is so embarrassing," I grumble, reaching over to smack Dal's arm. "And it's all your fault."

"Hey!" He says, taking a hand off the wheel to poke me back. "What's all my fault?"

"This!" I say, gesturing to myself, and then him, and back at myself. "I feel like.. a fool.."

I turn my gaze out the window to hide my face.

A sudden, very awkward silence falls over us for a bit, and I immediately regret saying what I said and how I said it.

"Look, G," Dally says after a while. "I get it, you don't wanna go out with me or whatever, that's fine," he says, loud at first, and then quiet. "Really, I get it. I've been thinkin' 'bout what you said the other day, ya know – that a date's not really a date if the other person is basically forced to do it and all.. so.. well, this ain't a date anymore."

"What?" I say, finally sitting up to look at him.

"It doesn't have to be, I mean.. like, it could just be a pretend date.. if that's what you want," he mumbles. "Look, man, I just think you deserve to have a good time, with everything goin on, and all."

"Oh.."

That's actually.. really sweet.

I feel him take his eyes off the road to look at me. "So, whaddya say?"

I look at him for just a moment, and it sinks in that he's actually being serious.

"Hmm?" He says, trying to convince me. "Just you and me. Havin' a good time, eatin' some good food. Maybe havin' a drink, playin' some pool? How's that sound?"

"Uh.. that sounds good," I admit, a little surprised at the words myself.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah.. that sounds.. really nice, Dal.. Thanks."

"Sure," he says, grinning softly to himself.

For a moment, I try to wrap my head around the fact that Dallas Winston basically just surrendered to my protest of our little date – I mean Dallas Winston. I try to recall if he's ever given up on his pursuit of other girls before, but no instance comes to mind.