03. jealousy

"MAN, I WASN'T SURE you'd come," Dally says, kicking a rock off the curb while we both walk with our hands in our pockets

Pony and Johnny trail behind us, probably talking about movies or school or something.

"Johnny wanted to," I say, making sure I don't look at Dally's face. "Besides, I like the drive-in."

"Right."

After an awkward silence, I can't help but speak in order to break it.

"Can we.. can we just forget yesterday?"

Dally stays quiet, and I have no idea what the hell he's thinking.

"..And I'm sorry about Sylvia, I didn't kno–"

"–Ah, forget about it, she was no good for me anyway."

Suddenly restless, Dally turned around quick walking backwards as he broke up Johnny and Pony's conversation. "Say, how bout we all hit the town before dark, cause a little trouble, huh?"

"What'dya have in mind, Dal?" Johnny asks.

"Nothin' legal."

Dallas winks at me, and I roll my eyes, fighting a grin.

• • • • • • •

The four of us made a mess blowin' straws around at the drugstore, and spent the rest of the evening at the Dingo.

Finally the sun falls beneath the skyline, and twilight settles over Tulsa. After bumming around town all afternoon, we make our way towards the drive-in.

We hop the back fence behind the Nightly Double just as the first beach movie starts playing.

The lot is lined with cars, and plenty of wanderers, and the air smells of popcorn and cotton candy. Being at the drive-in is kinda like being in a movie yourself.

Johnny, Pony, Dally, and I pass by all the cars. A few people in the first row are already suckin' face. Put off, I turn away and hurry ahead towards the seated area in front of the concessions booth. Just as I pass by the line for concessions, someone grabs my waist and pulls me towards him.

"Hey baby," a tall, big lookin' soc stares down at me, eating me with his eyes. "How'd you like to climb in the back seat of my 'Vette, over there, huh, dollface?"

"Get the hell off me, creep!" I push myself away from him with so much force I stumble back a bit, only to be caught by someone else.

"Hey, man, get lost!" The person who'd caught me pulls me to their hip. "The only place she's goin' is with me."