Chapter 2

Just as Mu Mu was going to head upstairs, an uncommon Siamese cat suddenly jumped out from the bushes by the door. Instead of running away or approaching Mu Mu, it plopped down on the ground and wholeheartedly licked its paws.

Ling Mao Er couldn't decide if he should approach Mu Mu. If Mu Mu hated cats or was afraid of them, wouldn't he, who delivered himself over, lose face ?

Therefore, he simply sat in place with the aloofness of a cat and waited for Mu Mu to come to him[1].

Mu Mu looked around in surprise first but didn't see anybody, so he approach the Siamese cat and stroked its head.

The Siamese cat, unafraid, looked up and narrowed its eyes in enjoyment.

"You're not a stray, are you? Where's your owner? Did you sneak out?" Mu Mu asked the three questions in quick succession.

Ling Ma Er was enjoying Mu Mu's touch, but secretly ridiculed. 'Have you ever seen such a priceless stray cat?'

Mu Mu saw that the cat was friendly to people, an obvious sign that it had been cared for by someone before and its body was very clean, so it must have escaped recently.

He lifted the cat by its armpits in order to examine it more closely.

Ling Mao Er was very unhappy, he hated being held like this by humans. His chest was uncomfortable, his stomach was uncomfortable, and the place where he was being held was painful.

Stupid human! Support my butt! Haven't you realized how long you've stretched me?

Mu Mu was now face to face with the cat. It was a beautiful light brown Siamese cat with dark brown on its feet and tail, as if the naughty cat had jumped into a pile of coal and smeared its paws.

However, the most eye-catching feature about the cat was the distinct point colour* of its face. It was like all of the surrounding black pigments had been drawn to the small patch in the middle. It was funny no matter how you looked at it.

*Point coloration is the blotch of darker fur that basically covers the nose area of a cat

"Ha ha ha ha, did you bury your face in a heap of coal?"

Ling Mao Er angrily slapped Mu Mu, but from Mu Mu's perspective, it was just the cat patting its soft pads on his face.

"Do you want to go play at my house?" asked Mu Mu, "I'll treat you to milk."

Drink, drink, drink! Ling Mao Er thought. It would be better if there were fish sausages.

Mu Mu held the cat in one hand and dragged luggage in the other as he entered the elevator and pressed the button for the eighteenth floor. As the elevator steadily rose, Ling Mao Er stared intensely at the numbers. Mu Mu thought that it was interested in moving things, just like many other cats.

"I live on the eighteenth floor, which might be a bit high. Are you afraid of heights?" asked Mu Mu.

I'm afraid of dogs.

With a 'ding,' the elevator signaled that they reached the eighteenth floor, and the door opened.

"We're home now." Mu Mu opened the door of room 1816, and, without any sense of foreignness, the Siamese cat jumped out from Mu Mu's arms and strutted into Mu Mu's home.

As expected of a curious cat. Mu Mu smiled and walked into the bedroom. "I'll just go settle down a bit, feel free to walk around."

Mu Mu lived in a bachelor's apartment that was even smaller than Ling Mao Er's home, but the numerous potted plants he kept really didn't match up with his identity as an unmarried man who often traveled.