irl

Soleil opened the door and standing awkwardly outside was Timothée, holding sushi and cheesecake as he grinned like a dork.

She engulfed him in a hug as she squealed, letting him in.

"How'd you get my address?" she asked in a frighteningly casual way. She had never told him anything about where she lived other than she lived in Brooklyn. This would normally freak her out but surprisingly, she was chill.

"I asked Mishti for it, if that's okay," he awkwardly chuckled as he set down the food onto the coffee table in front of the girl's TV. "I've been wanting to hang out with you again."

"I'm glad you took initiative. I was very tempted to call you," Soleil honestly said as she sat down on her couch and patted the seat next to her. She wore pineapple socks and a huge sweater that covered her whole body. It made her look as if she had no shorts on which made Timothée turn slightly red. Before he sat down he saw a wall of polaroids on one of the living room walls.

He didn't think much of it until he found a dusty, worn out polaroid of the two of them when they were 15. Soleil was leaning on one of Timothée's legs while he stared down at her with admiration, both of them laughing at God knows what. It sent a warm feeling through him before a different kind of darkening feeling crept in.

"Did ya find the one of us?" Soleil asked from the couch, still looking at the TV focused on the movie she had started. "It was the only one I could find and I really wanted a reminder of teenage me when I moved back."

He sighed before softly laughing. "We look..."

"Young? Obnoxious? Nerdy?"

"Happy," he finished. "We looked happy." Together, he wanted to confess. They looked so happy together. He wanted that back.

As he sat down, Soleil set her head down onto his shoulder making him sigh. It was all so domestic and comfortable. He wished this was a normal for them. That this wasn't an end to something that should've begun a long time ago.

"Why'd you leave?" he accidentally let out. He quickly shut his eyes. His ass can never truly let things go, can he?

He could tell from her frozen expression that she wasn't ready for the sudden change of conversation. To be honest, he wasn't ready either.

She sighed, the weight of a thousand worlds on her shoulder. "I... to be honest, I have no idea. I had the opportunity to start my career in Atlanta and I had just turned 18 and... I made an irrational choice without thinking of the people around me. I was desperate to grow into my career and I was an idiot of a kid." She looked up and gave him a small smile. Still the same one as before.

"It's okay, Sol," he affirmed. "You're here now."

As they shared the cheesecake together Timothée ruffled his hair into the side of her arm, the same thing he used to do when he was younger. He really hadn't changed at all.

Neither did Soleil, besides the way she carried herself. He really was so so proud of her accomplishments. He just wished he could've been there through it all.

Shit. That small gut feeling he always got whenever he was with her as kids was coming back. He pushed it back down. It wasn't even a big deal, right?