irl

Soleil was over at Timothée's place crocheting some random hat for him while he attempted to read her favorite book, "Atonement."

"I genuinely can't understand the plot of this book," he sighed as he sat upside down on his sofa.

"What part are you at?" Soleil replied, still very focused on her crocheting. The girl used to crochet all the time, from hats to tote bags it was her favorite hobby other than writing. If she were to look around Timothée's apartment it wouldn't take very long to find one of the things she had made for him when they were still kids laying around. He did admit to keeping them all.

"Uh, Robbie just got sent to prison? I think? Did he commit the crime? If he did that'd suck, I did like him and that girl together." The boy moved into a crisscross position as he flipped back and forth between pages, confused but getting the hang of it.

"Are you not paying attention?" she joked. "He didn't do it but Briony thought he did because she's a child and well, she doesn't really know better. When I watched the movie as a kid I was pissed at Briony because I thought she was being so nosy but now I understand that she was just doing what she thought was the right thing and it ended up not being the right thing but, well, she did have to pay for the consequences, I guess." She took a dramatic deep breath before softly laughing to herself. Timothée stopped to look up at her and hum.

"I love the way you look when you go on mini rambles, Birdie," he commented. "And I feel like if I watched the movie before reading the book it'd make more sense."

Soleil tried her best not to act up over the comment as she continued crocheting. Weirdly, she lost momentum and began moving really slowly. "Yeah, but I wanted to see how far you'd go before getting confused. You didn't really get that far, huh?"

His face lit up in defense. "Hey! Excuse you, I do understand this book, I just wanted to hear you explain it since I know you love to."

Soleil cocked her head to the side. "Mhm. What's Robbie's love interest's name?"

He began saying something before his voice died down. The boy thought really hard before frantically searching through the book.

"That's what I thought," she retorted. Timothée then proceeded to throw a pillow at the girl making her gasp. She threw it back.

This dynamic continued on for a while, as this was what they always did. They got into this routine where they would hang out at each other's houses not to do something exciting, but to just be in each other's company. It was more fun than any date they had ever been on.

Soleil ruffled through the bag of supplies Timothée had given her before realizing she ran out of sage green yarn.

"Tim, where's the box of yarn I left here the last time I was here?" she asked, mindlessly. Without looking up he pointed to the broom closet at the end of the hallway away from the living room where they currently resided. Soleil got up and walked over, careful not to step over the pile of yarn she had made.

She opened the door and saw the usual; jackets hanging, boxes at the bottom and top with the occasional umbrella or backpack squished between each crevice. She carefully rummaged through the closet when she noticed the small box labelled "Birdie Yarn" in black sharpie at the top, right behind another box labelled "Hell's Kitchen Stuff."  Not caring, she took the Hell's Kitchen box and placed it by her feet as she took her box of yarn and carried it under her left arm. While she stuffed the other box back into its place a small slightly crumpled paper flew out of the box.

"Woops," she mumbled as she picked it up and began folding it. Before putting it back into the box she noticed the paper was a letter and it was addressed to her.