irl

"Birdie!" he called out behind the door. "You're neighbors probably hate me since I've been out here for the last twenty minutes yelling but I won't stop!"

"Who the hell buzzed him in?" Soleil groaned as she stood on the other side of the door, standing a few feet away. "He's gone batshit insane."

"I can hear you, y'know," Timothée spoke normally. Soleil could tell he was smirking. "Your doors are thin, dumbass."

"Open the fucking door," Mishti droned. "If you don't, I will."

Soleil wanted to bash her head into the wall. "Jesus fuck, you're relentless."

Before Soleil could ever make it towards the door, Mishti came running in. She unlocked the door, pulled Timothée inside, and let herself out all within a few seconds.

"Talk!" she called from down the hall."You stubborn ass idiots."

It took Timothée a few seconds to process what happened when his eyes locked onto Soleil who wanted to be anywhere but there.

"Make it quick," she spoke first. "I have some... modeling thing I have to catch. Vogue." She was lying through her teeth.

"You promised you wouldn't do this again," he argued. If Soleil's ears weren't ringing from all the door banging, she might have been able to hear him choking up.

"I've been... busy," she lied. He laughed.

"Don't bullshit me, Birdie." He pulled his phone out and scrolled through their messages. All blue, no grey. "You don't do this to friends. You don't do that to me."

She snorted. "On the contrary, I do that all the time. If Mishti and Tash were here, they'd agree with me."

"But we're different, Birdie." Soleil realized his hair was all frizzy and he was wearing mismatched socks. "You know that."

"I don't think I do," she abrasively said. Soleil wanted to back into a corner and disappear into a faraway place but she knew he would just try and join her on the journey.

"We've known each other longer than anyone. Every day I make sure we're okay 'cause I'm terrified you'll leave again," he let out more than he wanted. "Stop scaring me like this. I get you don't 'do feelings' but at least know that I care. I've always cared. Even after you left the first time?"

"Okay, I was agreeing with you till the end," she joked. She always seemed to make some dumb joke in serious moments. Timothée knew it to be her most common defensive mechanism so he couldn't get mad. "After I left we didn't talk to each other for years. And it's been only a few months since we've reconnected, I mean—" she sighed, feeling her emotions get overstimulated, "—you barely know who I am now."

"You think just because you left I never checked up on you?" he loudly argued. "Every day since you left I would look at your social media to make sure you were happy. I made stupid burner accounts just so I could follow you and see that you were doing okay. It was dumb and creepy but I didn't care at the time. I wanted you to be happy, even if it wasn't with me."

When Soleil didn't answer, he huffed and continued on.

"I was angry at you for leaving. Anyone would be. You broke my fucking heart when I had to hear from a neighbor that you left. But I took that anger and tried to do something with it. Every day I worked my ass off to make a name for myself to prove to you that I deserved better than someone who left me for no fucking reason," he fumed. Soleil's back was now up against the wall and she felt her breathing hitch at every word. "I dropped out of Columbia, started acting, starred in movies with celebrities we were obsessed with growing up." His palms relaxed but his tone never changed. "I did all of that to try and prove to absolutely no one that I was worth something. But every single time I checked up on you, you were going on some amazing trip or doing a showcase or out with guys and I kept hoping that maybe, you were thinking about me."