Chapter 4

As Owen, Claire, Maisie and I walked back to the gallery, Claire initiated a conversation with Owen. They spoke in hushed tones, but I heard them loud and clear anyway.

"Owen, what are you thinking?" Claire hissed. "You just met that thing, and you're trusting him? What the hell!"

Owen glanced back at me before replying. "Claire, think. What was Ripper doing when we saw him there? He was hugging  Maisie. No normal dinosaur does that. Hell, even Blue doesn't do that. Can't you tell there's something different about him? Also, I deliberately threatened him with that gun. I projected a show of strength. Any normal carnivore would have attacked immediately to show dominance. Did Ripper do that?"

Claire hesitated before shaking her head. "Exactly. And did you see how alert he got when the lights flickered? He was scanning for threats, like he was protecting his pack. Claire, Ripper trusts us. That's why I trust him."

Claire didn't say anything for a few moments as her brain tried to process this information. Meanwhile, I was suprised. I had no idea Owen was so knowledgable about creatures like me, but it made sense, because of how long he had worked around his raptors. He must have learned from them, and this was proof that he had. I was glad that he trusted me.

Finally, Claire made up her mind. "Fine, you're right," she grumbled. 

"I'm not finished," Owen continued. "I also beleive Ripper is more intelligent than Blue, or any raptor. I don't have any proof yet, but I think Ripper has human DNA in him. Look at his hands. Add a finger on each, remove the scales and claws and what do you get? Human hands. Claire, Ripper is as intelligent as us, maybe even more."

Claire's eyes widened. Finally, someone who understands, I thought, smirking. I was suprised that Owen had deduced this about me. I didn't know if I really did have human DNA in me, but I wouldn't be surpised. Now that I thought about it, my hands were very similar to a human's. "But that's impossible!" Claire sputtered. "He's a dinosaur. He may be smart enough to communicate and open doors, but I doubt he is smarter than us!"

I glared at Claire's back. I am as smart as a human, and I knew when I was being insulted! "Claire, he can hear you," Owen replied. Claire paled, glancing at me quickly and noticing my glare. I saw the 'oops' expression on her face as she turned back around. 

"Claire, I bet the only reason you aren't on your back right now is because Ripper doesn't want to scare Maisie," Owen stated. "I'd say you're sorry."

Claire glared at Owen, who simply raised an eyebrow and motioned towards me while halting his forward movement, everyone else following suit, including me. Claire sighed. "Fine, fine. But I get to drive your van for ten minuites." 

"One."

"Five."

"Two."

"Three," Claire finished. Owen thought for a moment, before he nodded. Claire turned to me. 

"Ripper, I'm sorry I called you dumb," she spoke in apology. I raised my head higher. 

"I...forgive you."

Claire smiled before turning back around and resuming the walk, Owen beside her. I continued my trek behind them, Maisie beside me. "Ripper, why did Claire call you dumb?" Maisie asked me.

I saw Claire wince as I answered her. "Because she, apperently, doesn't believe I am that intelligent."

"Really?" Maisie asked in suprise. I nodded. "Well, thank you for forgiving her. I have never heard you forgive another human besides me, so...why did you forgive her?"