CHAPTER 13: 'Guilt.'

The lights turned back on, and suddenly everyone was out of their seats,

the meeting was over,

and the new deal was made.

The elders muttered curses under their breaths and shifted out of the room with no room for complaints, they looked like how one would act on the verge of peeing as they rushed to the toilets with stiff backs.

ever since the bathroom, the way he looked at Carter had changed, it took him every cell of his body to hold back from splitting his head or running a knife right across his neck.

Damsel was disgusted,

every part of his body was terrified as well as disgusted at the thought.

He had met Sarah a few times when he was younger, whenever he accompanied his brothers to the Knight residence, he would see her peek her head out at the corner and watch the adults talk, damsel even remembered once when they had made eye contact, she blushed and scurried away to hide behind Darren.

That was the last time he had seen Sarah, that sweet toothless child who loved her big brother more than anything else in the world, he remembered the way Darren would sneak her out during those meetings, she was always holed up in her room because of her sickness, it was Darren that used to sneak snacks and play with her; Damsel remembered because, during those times, he was forced to keep quiet about the two's secret when he had caught them sneaking around one day.

She was murdered.

Murdered.

Maybe not directly, but Carter had the choice to save her, he had the choice to put her through that surgery, but he made Darren choose. Both Samuel and Sarah had the same condition, their surgeries were supposed to be scheduled on the same day, but Carter had sat Darren down, and given him two choices.

Save either Samuel or Sarah.

Just imagine what Darren had gone through at the time, Darren was only 7, he had only just started school, and he was suddenly told to choose between his two siblings, Carter was wicked enough to explain everything that would happen once Darren made his decision, 

this was what Carter had done, what Carter had wanted ever since Darren's birth.

Absolute loyalty, absolute submission,

he wanted his heir wrapped around his finger, an heir that was perfect in anything he did, an heir that would do as he was told,

an heir that couldn't think for himself. 

an heir that was his very own puppet.

And He went through every means to get what he wanted. 

Because of how chaotic it was, everything happened so fast, one second Damsel was dragging Darren under the sink and letting the cold water bring him back to reality, and the next second; his pheromones went out of control, both Damsel's and Darren's were fighting; fighting like their lives depended on it; it was Ereloc fighting with Darren's wolf and the psychological pressure was too much to withstand, Damsel had some blanks in his memory from what happened back there, it was all too much for him to handle, the pheromones were too much, too toxic, and unbreathable. 

they were both suffocating.

The fact is, Darren had somehow come back to reality, damsel still didn't remember how it happened, but Darren was barely able to even utter a word; the two sat in silence after the pheromones in the room slowly dissipated, leaving the two exhausted boys in utter silence and disbelief. Damsel appeared to awaken from his trance after half an hour, his mind wandering; the familial secret he had uncovered had rendered him silent.