32: Just This Once

I'm paralyzed

I'm paralyzed. Menacing fear tightens in the atmosphere, my skin retaliating as it breathes along my arms, goosebumps rising.

Red Light is back to being hidden in the shadows, while Addie stands in a stream of light coming through the window from a street lamp outside. My heart throbs in my ears and a ringing begins in my eardrums as my mind clouds with all the worst possible scenarios.

Addie's eyes stretch out wide, swimming in panic. Her chest barely moves as she tries to hold her breath, the sharp sears pinch some of her skin making her bleed.

I have to do something, get her out of his hold somehow.

Exchange myself for her maybe?

I can handle Red Light, Addie can't.

"Please," I beg, my shaking hand pressing against my chest, my heartbeat hard and irregular. "Take me, let her go."

He removes the scissors from her throat, pointing them at me, bouncing them up and down. His laughter, abnormal and cackling through the tense air, adding to the friction. "I wanted you." His voice is too gravely, almost as if he's a heavy smoker. "Oh, sweetheart the plans I had for you. but have something better now."

He pauses and I suck in a breath as he takes the scissors, trailing them up Addie's neck then using them to push her hair behind her ear. His nose touches her cheek, and he whispers, eyes pinned to me as he says, "I have their sister. I can hurt both of them."

Addie's hands are white as she shakily grips his forearm that's still wrapped tightly around her neck. My gaze flicks to the door, praying the guys are coming.

I have to stall him.

"Red Light, you don't want to do this." I try to rationalize. "You do this and you'll be done, rotting in a prison cell."

He bursts out laughing.

My hairs stand straight up.

His neck tenses, the spot I had struck him caving in strangely. "You think," he wheezes out. "that I'm already not going to rot? Nah, babe, I think I'll go down knowing I took another precious thing from 'em."

My fists tighten, anger replacing my fear. "You're vile."

He sneers, gripping Addie harder. "You wanna see vile?"

Everything slows down as the opened scissors cross over Addie's throat and my stomach knots up, vomit coiling and running up my throat like an intense wave, but then he places them in his other hand, lifting his shirt up with his now free hand.

"Take a look at what your boyfriend did."

My gaze drops down and I met with bubbled skin, blistered and colored in vivid pink or a gooey yellow, roping around his ribs.

Burn marks.

Some parts are scaly while other sections of his skin resemble stretched out leather with creases and wrinkles. It's so horrible that he will be disfigured... permanently.