Being aroace

Being asexual is great. The ace community is the most comforting and warm community. It gives me such cozy vibes.

Ace culture is amazing: cakes, dragons, garlic bread. Like try and honestly tell me you would rather have sex than cake. No. I don't believe you.

Being aromantic doesn't come with quite the same distinguished culture, but it is still fun.

However, being aromantic, asexual, or aroace is really confusing sometimes.

Like how the hell are you meant to work out that you are aromantic/asexual in the first when you have no idea that you're missing something?! If my friend hadn't told me that asexuality was a thing, who knows when I would've realised!

And then when allo people are all like "oh you're missing out" but like it's not like I know what I'm missing, is it? It's like saying to someone who's been a vegetarian all their life that they're missing out because meat is amazing. It isn't like they've ever known anything else so it really doesn't matter, you know?

Then there's also when you are trying to work out your full label when you're on the ace or aro spectrum. Like allo people will never know the difficulty of trying to work out who you're attracted to when you're lacking one or more forms of attraction. Just how the hell am I meant to know if you are cute and I'd date you or if you just have a nice face when I'm asexual?!

Basically if you are questioning asexual or aromantic, don't be too hard on yourself for not understanding what you're feeling because it's really difficult. And remember it's also fine to not have a label <3