ninety-two

SOFIE PETERSON AND HER UNIQUE SONGWRITING SKILLS

With an insight into the meaning of her songs and how they are linked to her current romance with formula one driver, Charles Leclerc.

‍ ‍ August 2021, @ELLEUK

‍ ‍

‍ ‍
         Sofie Peterson first gained recognition in 2018 for her song 'I miss you, I'm sorry'. After being independently released by Peterson herself, the song received several hundred thousand listens in two weeks. She was then approached with multiple record-deals. Peterson continued to release songs such as "mess it up", "stay" and "brush fire", which all gained remarkable attention. And now having shared her first album with the world, we're all wondering about its potential and the likely ties to the current love in her life.

Sofie Peterson's love life quickly became tabloid fodder this year after having alleged ties to Ferrari-driver Charles Leclerc.

When reports first surfaced that the pair were seeing each other following the formula one race in Leclerc's home country Monaco, fans found it extremely hard to believe. According to sources, Leclerc avoided seeing anyone for years. 

After speculation about the nature of their relationship, which started around the end of May, Leclerc confirmed their romance months later via an Instagram post. Since then, Peterson and Leclerc have been practically inseparable, joining fellow f1-drivers on vacations and flaunting their newfound affection for one another at every possible occasion.

In a new interview with GQ, the 22-year-old musician directly opened up about the 'media storm' following the announcement of the relationship, as well as how it partially inspired the lyrics of a couple of her brand-new songs, "feels like", "just friends", "the bottom" and "crush".

Written only two months ago, Peterson told GQ that she's glad for the quarter of new songs to see the light of day. At the time of writing them, she was unsure whether they would ever be released at all, but as her relationship Charles Leclerc progressed, she felt safe enough to do so.

Written about "all the rumours and nosy whispers over the past months", Peterson crafted the mid-tempo "just friends" after her record label asked her to create a response track to the media's endless speculation about herself and Leclerc. But she wasn't quite ready to publicly address her rumoured romance with the driver. "It sort of felt like it could turn into bad luck," she explained to GQ. "If I would paint a pretty picture for the tabloids through my lyrics, it wouldn't be the truth." Peterson continued to explain that she felt anxious during the beginning of the relationship, and wanted to reflect her true feelings in her songs.

Don't know where to start / Don't know how to hold my heart / I keep thinking maybe we should let it happen / And I don't mean to offend / But if they ask, do we say we're just friends?

In the song's chorus, she makes her uncertainties about being with such a famous figure perfectly clear. In the song's second verse, Peterson seemingly references the hatred received from Leclerc's fans online.

What if I'm going a little mad / Saying that I should just forget / I keep thinking maybe I should put you out of my head / What am I supposed to do with that? / But if they ask, do we say we're just friends?

Being a fairly new singer-songwriter, Sofie Peterson managed to portray her feelings superbly. Moving on, she hasn't directly spoken about the meaning behind the lyrics of "the bottom", but fans immediately connected the dots to her apparent insecurities within the relationship with Leclerc. The upbeat track's chorus features doubtful thoughts about a new love, which could be about one person only.

It's hard to ignore all of my problems / Gonna regret being too honest / Calling it love, but this isn't falling / I'm gonna drag you right down to the bottom

It does seem that Peterson's doubts were only temporarily as she describes the exact opposite in her song "feels like". The song, clearly about her blooming love with Leclerc, portrays the happiness that she found with him overtime. "I would do whatever you wanted / We don't have to leave the apartment." And she ends the chorus with a perfectly happy lyric, "Met you at the right time / This is what it feels like", thus the album title.

Lastly, "crush" confidently reflects the inner impassivity she felt while falling in love again, leaving her past relationships behind and focusing herself on something new.

The two of us were accidental / But somehow it already feels like heaven / Think you're more than a crush / I wanna start loving you too much

As Peterson explained to GQ, "I feel like this album is self-destruction, then self-reflection and then sort of self-redemption. And in the midst of it all, it's about falling deeply in love."

Peterson's lyrics are about the only confirmation that the media is going to get, it seems

Peterson's lyrics are about the only confirmation that the media is going to get, it seems. Leclerc has been asked about his new love countless times by paparazzi and fans. It's no secret that the driver prefers to keep his private life away from the public.
"I've always been really adamant to keep my private life private, because I share so much of my life with the world anyway." The formula one driver said during an interview from early 2021.

But Leclerc shed some details about his current relationship during an interview with Autosport when being asked about Peterson. "Having her in my life was so instrumental to my sanity," he said with an invincible smile.

Even if both value their privacy greatly, the pair proceed to show off their romantic relationship on all parts of the world. Having recently flaunted their love on the beaches of the French Riviera, Leclerc and Peterson support each other through thick and thin, with Leclerc attending Peterson's album release party and the singer's presence could be easily detected at multiple Grand Prix's around the world.

It's safe to say that the couple is going strong. In new photographs obtained by Page Six, the two are seen passionately kissing while sat in a car in Monte Carlo, this following the release party of Peterson's album.

This couple clearly isn't going anywhere!