o. surfin' u.s.a.

✧⁺❀ P r o l o g u e . . .

Violet Monterrey could not have been more relieved that it was summer.

Brilliant, white-gold rays poured down from the cyan sky, glistening upon the crystal waves of the Pacific Ocean. Shining with the sun and heat, golden sand stretched out forming the Leo Carillo beach. Sapphire waves gently lapped at the shoreline, leaving pieces of driftwood and salt-soaked, verdant seaweed on the seafront. There was something truly beautiful about California, when summertime was in full bloom, that sang a beautiful melody straight to Violet's heart.

At present, she and her best friend, Nicole Rhodes were swimming and splashing about in the aquamarine waters. Violet loved the feeling of total immersion and the sea was the only real place to experience this. Nicole lived in the South Seas apartment complex, which claimed to have a pool, yet, in reality, the small porcelain basin was practically empty, spare a layer of green sludge and mould. If the two girls dared to step anywhere near it, contracting some sort of disease was almost a certainty.

It was nearly the end of the season of sun, sea and sand and much to Violet's dismay, school was soon impending. It was for this reason that she had been invited to the beach party some of her classmates were hosting, to celebrate the end of summer.

However, the students who had suggested the party weren't actually her friends. They had only offered for her to come as they believed her popularity may improve their own social status at school. Violet knew they were only using her for this purpose, but she couldn't help wanting to come. Besides, Nicole had a huge crush on Freddy Fernandez - the guy from the apartment next to hers, who had organised the whole party. Violet wanted to support her friend and hopefully set them up together.

As a matter of fact, Nicole had been spending the last five minutes staring at Freddy, as he and some his friends played football. She was treading water in the salty waves and her lapse in concentration meant she was beginning to sink. Clicking her fingers, Violet attempted to snap her out of her trance.

"Earth to Nicole! Come on, wake up, Casanova. If you want Freddy to fall in love with you, you'll have to do better than stare at him from afar."

"I wasn't staring at him," the brunette protested indignantly. "I was... admiring."

"Also know as stalking, which as I've heard, is illegal in all fifty states." Violet grinned. "Why don't you just go strike up a conversation with him?"

"About what? What if we don't have anything in common?"

Pausing, Violet attempted to think of mutual points of conversation for them, but as Nicole had practically run away every time Freddy came near, she knew almost nothing about him. "You're both humans. You both... Nope, that's all I have."