viii. mr. miyagi

✧⁺❀ C h a p t e r e i g h t . . .

Sitting patiently in Miyagi's room, Violet watched as the older man dipped a handkerchief in some strange liquid. While he did this, she allowed her eyes to observe the room he had brought her (and carried Daniel) to.

Delicate, white paper lanterns decorated with cruel-looking dragons nestled over light bulbs and several emerald bonsai trees sat in a line like dominoes on the opposite side of the room. Despite this Oriental decoration, there was very little else occupying the room. Papers and clothes were littered everywhere and Violet mused how ironic it was that the room of the maintenance man - in charge of stimulating order - existed in such chaos and disarray. At the side of the room where Violet now found herself was a solitary bed (there was therefore, presumably, no Mrs Miyagi) on which Daniel remained unconscious.

Looking back at Mr Miyagi, Violet saw that he had finished preparing the cloth, which he gave to her with the instruction to hold it against Daniel's face. The smell of the mixture met her nose and it was no sweet fragrance, by any means.

"Damn, Miyagi, what's in this?" Violet groaned. "It smells like wet dog if the dog covered itself in bin juice, rotten food and then ran through the sewers."

When no response was given and the man just stared at her silently, Violet widened her eyes.

"You didn't kill a dog, did you?"

The man shook his head. "No dead dog in mixture, Violet-San." He smiled cheekily. "I not find one."

Violet laughed, in spite of everything that had happened that night. She was already beginning to like the man and his sense of humour.

"What's violet sand?" she asked in response to the nickname he had given her. "Do they get that where you come from? In California, we just have plain old white stuff."

"No, no sand. I call you Violet-san. In Okinawa, mean respect. You nice girl and look after Daniel-san, so call you Violet-san."

Violet looked surprised. "Oh, you know Danny? But, thanks for the san thing, that sounds real sweet. I respect you too, Miyagi-san."

The man laughed, as if she had told a hilarious joke. "Miyagi never been called Miyagi-san before." He waved his hand towards the handkerchief drenched in mixture. "Now, put on Daniel-san head."

Obeying the request of Daniel's rescuer, Violet took the black and white cloth and pressed it gently against the boy's forehead. She was still presently unsure what exact outcome it was supposed to provide, but Mr Miyagi seemed wise and she suspected he knew what he was doing.

After a couple of seconds of holding it against Daniel's forehead, she felt a hand swatting at her arm. She looked down to see he had regained consciousness, which brought a smile to her face.